20.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 20

[NARRATIVE]

"Awu Shibase, savakashelwa uwena selishona" Nomeva says opening the door for him to come inside. He takes off his hat as he walks in. Nomeva is like a mother to him. When Mahlathini's father was still alive. He spent most of the time here. They were the closest friends, brothers to be precise. That's why he takes Mahlathini as his son, he would do anything for the boy.

"Injani intombemdala?"

"I'm getting younger everyday" Shibase laughs. She's indeed a strong woman, ontanga bskhe can't walk anymore but she's still standing strong. She's blessed.

"Kuhle ke ukuzwa lokho" he says, she gets up and starts being busy. She's preparing him a plate. Whoever walks through her doors never leaves on an empty stomach "I'm here for an important matter Ntomb' kaGijegije"  Shibase says when she finally settles down. Nomeva looks at him briefly.

"Important matter?" he straightens up.

"Yes, the one concerning Mahlathini taking a wife" she's not surprised, he's the first person Mahlathini runs to when he has a problem"The boy needs your blessings"

"How are you okay with all this nonsense?"

"It's his life, I have no right to be okay or not be okay for what he chooses for himself, as a father all I have to do is support him. If he's making a mistake, that's okay, who doesn't? Don't stand in the way of his happiness just because you're trying to protect him"

"Happiness? there's no happiness here Gagashe. I will not watch Mahlathini dig his own grave. All of this will not end well" Her predictions are never wrong. This white woman will destroy Mahlathini and he will never survive from it "Since you're failing to protect him, I will. I'm going to KwaNongoma to find him a true Zulu wife, he will forget this fling soon" Shibase can't believe what he's hearing, has the old lady lost her mind?

"Mahlathini will not like this"

"He doesn't have to, I'm doing this for oJama who I know very well don't want a white woman in their yard"

Shibase is defeated. Nothing will make Nomeva change her mind. Mahlathini and Connie can't marry each other without her blessing, unfortunately.

*
*
*

MAHLATHINI

"What?!" he looks at Shibase longer than intended. He already knows Nomeva doesn't like Connie but going to find him a wife to prove that is insane. She has never even talked to him about it.

"How are things on her parents side?" Shibase asks bringing him out of his colliding thoughts.

"I haven't met her father yet but she assured me he won't have a problem"

"At least that's good"

"What am I going to tell her? She won't take this well, she already told me it will hurt her if Gogo doesn't accept her, how much more to find out she's looking for a wife to marry me instead of her"

"Don't tell her, it's for the best" he sighs and burries his face in his hands.

"All I want is to marry the woman I love, why does she have to complicate things for me?" She's holding him back and wasting his time. What does Connie have to do with apartheid? she's not even Afrikaner, her sin is that she's white which is not fair in anyway.

He leaves the rank and drives to the Shisanyama. He can't go home and since Connie's father is around he can't go there either. He'll sleep in the office tonight maybe tomorrow he'll have the strength to face Gogo.

"Dad wants to see you" Connie says over the phone "... just so you're welcome, bring him a bottle of whiskey ...and cigar"

"Does he own a gun?" she's laughing.

"Yes but you're safe, I've already put a good word for you" he smiles. At least there's good news to this day.

"I love you" he says in a soft tone. Even words can't explain the love he has for Connie. There's no way he's going to let Nomeva mess things up for him.

"I love you more Ngamela" Even though he can't see her he knows she's smiling. He will marry her kumyama kubomvu.

He steps out of the car and walks inside the Shisanyama "Bafo!" he's called by Smiso "There's something I have to talk to you about" he says when he finally stops in front of him, from the look on his face, it looks serious.

"What's happening? umithisile futhi?" he chuckles. They walk inside the office and sit down. Smiso keeps sipping on the can of Heineken instead of talking "Zithini?" Mahlathini asks.

He clears his throat "I need money ... i million kanje" Mahlathini is laughing.
Smiso must be drunker than he looks. He gets up front the chair and lights his cigarette, maybe he's hearing things wrong "I want to start iBhizinisi, help a brother out"

"Ndoda, I'm a taxi driver njengawe where the hell will I get a million to give to you?"

"Connie is rich I know she's loading you, you just bought a third taxi cash-"

"Leyo taxi I bought it with my own money, uyabheda ke manje" this is the last thing he expected from Smiso. He's one person that he knows has his back, what the fûck is this now"

"You will get it all back once the business starts making profit"

"Smiso, I don't have that kind of money, whoever told I do, was lying"

"Kulungile" he stands up "
...it's true that money changes people, you've indeed changed" he says and walks out.

What the fûck?