53.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 53

MAHLATHINI

The taxi drivers walk into the lounge one by one occupying the couches, those who don't find space squat down. There are 12 of them in the room including Hloma who is Mahlathini's new right hand man. He went to fetch him KwaMaphumulo. He's one of the people who were close to his father, he knows he can trust him. He's older and matured. Having a man like him by his side will come in very handy.

After a while Mahlathini walks in. He's has Mnqobi in his arms, his new obsession. If he could, he would take him everywhere he goes "Iyona lendonda esphethe?" Hloma says with a wide smile.

"iyona le" Mahlathini says taking a seat on the chair reserved for him. He called everyone here to lay down some ground rules. He has a way of working and all of them should follow it. He's in this business to grow, he won't keep people who lack that mindset.

Hloma takes a step forward and starts addressing the men. He retired from the taxi business after losing his brother who was shot with Mahlathini's father during the taxi wars that took place in the early 2000s. He decided to quit everything. He didn't want to die and live his wife and kids behind. But now the industry is safer. Not entirely but it's not as dangerous as it was during their times.

He was very happy when Mahlathini came to visit him with the news. Things have been rough financially but with the job he has now, he will be able to take care of his family. He will forever be grateful to Mahlathini for this.

"At 04:00 you should be at the stand. We're not doing 08:00 here, I'm expecting 5 loads and more a day. Those doing long distances, it's two trips a week to Johannesburg. You deposit the previous day's money before 11h00 in the morning. These are the basics and I will not come back to them. I hope your ears are open and you're hearing me. I don't take nonsense, I don't have mercy. If you fail to do your job I will fire you. Niyangizwa?" he asks looking at everyone in the room. They are nodding.

He then pulls out a black bag under the table. He sets it on top and opens it "A man has to protect himself. I'm not saying you should take these gúns and go kill women. None of you is going to do that. If you know you can't handle lensimbi, don't take it" he says looking at each and everyone of them.

The second bag he pulls out is filled with envelopes containing their pays. The envelopes have names. They all come forward to collect.

In that same moment, Connie walks in. Her eyes immediately fall on the guns and her face changes. She collects Mnqobi and walks out.

"Ndodana" Hloma calls Mahlathini to the side after the meeting ends.

"Ngithi nje angibonge Jama. Out of all people you could have choosen you saw me worthy of doing this job for you. I appreciate your generosity. You won't regret your choice" Mahlathini smile.

"Kubonga mina Zwide. You're the only one I thought of who can put these boys on the line"

"Usuyongivalelisela ke kulensizwa yamehlo aluhlaza" Mahlathini laughs and they bid their goodbyes.

He makes his way to the nursery room where he finds Connie sitting on the rocking chair feeding Mnqobi. She doesn't look happy.

"I was complaining about you beating people now you want to shoot them?" Mahlathini closes the door and sits down on a chair opposite hers.

"It's not that" he says calmly.

"What is it? And why the hell did you take Mnqobi there knowing you will be pulling out guns?" She's tone is high. Mahlathini chooses to remain quiet. He can't talk to her when she's like this, they will not understand each other.