14.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 14

DONOVAN

What the hell was that? How can she do such in front of him? she has no shame, no respect for herself. A taxi driver? "What the fûck!" he hits the steering wheel until he's satisfied.

He's parked outside his parents house now. What is he going to get in there an tell them? He promised to come back with Connie, he organised a fuckin' dinner!

He steps out of the car and slams the door hard. He has to calm down, he leans against the car and do the breathing exercise. When he finally opens his eyes he's calm. The security who has been watching him act like a lunatic finally opens the gate and he drives in.

He parks the car in front of the house and walks in with a smile on his face. He's no failure, this was just a hiccup. Him and Connie will be together.

"Donovan" his mom says when he walks in. They are all smiling but the smiles fade when they notice Connie's absence.

"She was extremely busy, I couldn't even get time with her. The farm is on a chaotic hulk, I didn't want to take her away from work" he explains, his younger sister chuckles, she knows her brother too well and she won't buy his nonsense explanation.

"Well. Boy, if you don't fix your life in the next 6 months I'm handing the company to your uncle" his face changes, he has always known his father doesn't like him. Why can't he believe in him as his only son? Yes he had done mistakes, a handful but he has learnt from them.

Connie is his first step into getting his life together. Without a wife he's just a boy in his father's eyes which is why he's prepared to fight for her. He will not let whoever that man is take her. She belongs to him and that will never change. She's just confused for now, for all he knows that man gave her muthi or something. He's going to rob her of all her fortune and it will be too late when she realises that.
He has to protect her, no one will.

They finish dinner. He goes to his bedroom to make a few calls. He won't waste time. He has to eliminate him sooner than later. He fúcked with the wrong guy.

*
*
*

MAHLATHINI

The laughter is loud at the Rank, everyone is gathered by Mahlathini's taxi. He's telling them about the incident that happened a day ago "Ey yavela yashintsha yabomvu indoda" he says and they all laugh.

"Ey uzolimala lomfo, umakoti wethu lowa" Smiso says and the others agree, they will never allow anyone to mess up their brothers happiness. Kuyokhala inhlamvu endodeni.

Shibase calls him to the side as he's about to leave. The man is like his father. He groomed and tamed him to be the man he is today and he will forever have deep respect for the man.

"Are you sure about this woman?" Shibase asks him. He has never been sure of anything in his life. She's the one.

"I'm sure Baba, ngisahlanganisa I want to do things the right way" He's going to marry Connie and he will do that with his own money. That's why he has to push the business and make real money. He doesn't want to wait, especially now that there's isduphunga whose claiming her.

"You will tell me masekuhlangene" Shibase says and he nods. He bids his goodbyes and returns to the taxi.

"Asambe siyolanda imoto ndoda" he says to Vusi and they both hop into the taxi driving to the panel beaters.
They boys did an amazing job on the taxi.

"Nisebenzile madoda" he says circling the taxi which looks brand new. He pays for their great work and adds R200 for them to buy cold drink.

"Jama ka sjadu" they are thankful, the sun is blazing hot today.

Vusi takes the taxi back to the rank while he drives to Creche to pick Thando up. She's with a group of kids.  They are in a heated debate, instead of disturbing he leans against the taxi and pulls out his phone from his pocket. He presses call on the last number he called.

"Big boy" she answers and just like that he's smiling.

"How's your day going?"

"Hectic, I've been up and down, how is yours?"

"Boring without you" he's been missing her from the moment he woke up.

"Don't worry, I'll make it up to you later"

"I can't wait" he says with a wide smile, she's a drug he can't get enough of "...Ngiyak'thanda yezwa" she's giggling "...more than anything"

"I love you too" she says in her angelic voice making his heart dance in his chest. They bid their goodbyes just as the debate group scatters.

Thando sprints into his arms. He picks her up and kisses her forehead "How was school?"

"Great, we were painting"

"I can tell" she quickly reaches for her bag.

"Nhloso said his mom said I should give you this" she says handing him a folded piece of paper. He tried to call her a few times but the number is not in service.

He unfolds the paper. It's a letter, a formal letter like the one they used to write in school. The English is bad but all he can make is that she's asking for a job, she's willing to take anything even washing clothes. She's also explaining that she doesn't have a phone, it died. He has no choice but to write a letter and ask her to come to the Shisanyama.

•••TBC