56.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 56

NOBUHLE

She steps out of Bab' Ngcobo's Venture carrying plastic bags in both hands. She closes the door and thanks the old man for the lift.

"Constance!" she calls her daughter who is playing in the yard to come help her with the plastics. MaTembe is in the garden ploughing with William on her back who seems to be sleeping. Nobuhle makes her way over to them.

"Sengibuyile" she says walking to her mother and taking William to relieve her.

"Wasiza, my back was already screaming, how did you go?"

"Ngihambe kahle. I got the money" she says with a wide smile. A month ago she went to register for the government R350 grant. When she got the SMS from the bank yesterday, she couldn't believe it. She went today to check and to her luck she had R1750 in her account which is for all the 5 months combined. She brought groceries and some clothes for Constance and William. The rest she will invest it in her business.

"Aw siyabonga, there's something I wanted to talk to you about" MaTembe says putting igeja down and wiping the sweat off her face.
"Your father and I had a conversation about the issue of Thando. What you did was very wrong and we cannot swip it under the rug. A goat has to be slaughtered ukuyogeza lowamuzi for what you did. You have to apologise not only to Mahlathini but to the uncerstors too for the shame you brought into their homestead. And the fact that you're not even making an effort to know Thando hurts me. Ingane yakho leyana. Have you ever even bought her a panty or just a packet of snacks? Please, don't make things worse than they are, you have to put effort and build a relationship with her while you still can. Because once she grows up, she will hate you"

Nobuhle takes a deep sigh "Ngiyakuzwa Ma"

She's been thinking about it but she doesn't know where to start. She wants to have a relationship with Thando, she wants her to know her as her mother and also know her siblings.

"Your father will help you with the goat but the rest is up to you" MaTembe picking up igeja and continuing  with the ploughing.

Nobuhle goes to the house to start cooking but her head is consumed by the thoughts of what her mother said. Will Mahlathini allow her to have a relationship with Thando? She doesn't want to intrude, Connie might not welcome her, especially after what happened, she won't trust her around Mahlathini. Maybe she should talk to her first, apologise and make her understand before approaching Mahlathini.

*
*
*

VUSI

He's at the rank waiting for Mahlathini. He has no other choice. He will beg and get on his knees if he has to. He's starving. Yesterday he got food by going to the Shisanyama. Celiwe felt sorry for him and gave him a plate. He doesn't know what he will eat today.

He sits down and waits. Mahlathini comes around this time. He only needs a brief moment with him to expand and on plead for a second chance.

Indeed after 30 minutes. Mahlathini's car pulls   in. He quickly stands up from where he is sitting and makes his way to him.

"Bhoza" Mahlathini stops already looking irritated "Can I have a moment with you?" his brows furrows.

"A moment to do what?"

"I'm sorry for what I did, it was stupid of me-"
He raises his hand stopping Vusi from talking.

"Ndoda. I'm not the person you should be apologising to. Nokwanda is. I will hear from her if I give you your job or not.  Don't involve me ezintweni engingahlangene nazo" He says and walks away. Vusi feels his head turning, it might be hunger or the fact that Nokwanda wants nothing to do with him and right now he needs her more than ever. She's the only one who can convince Mahlathini to give him his job back.

*
*
*

DONOVAN

He's parked outside his house starring into space. His thoughts are colliding in his head. He doesn't know what to do or say to Celiwe anymore. He expected her to understand and be supportive. He's been supporting her all along why can't she do the same for him?

All they have to do is move to England and have a fresh start there. They will have a better life there than here. She can come visit her family every holiday. It's not hard, she's just choosing to complicate things.

His phone rings disturbing his train of thoughts, it's his mom. He presses the answer button and puts the phone on his ear "Mother"

"Donovan, are you busy? I'm preparing dinner and I would like it if you join us- ... If you two join us"

"Ok, but I'll be coming alone"

"Aw, Chel- Cheliwa doesn't want to come?"

"She's not here"

"Why? she's still not understanding?" Donovan sighs.

"It's complicated"

"Nothing is complicated here. At least you're now seeing her true colours. Love is all about compromises. If she can't compromise for you, she doesn't love you, simple. Move on with your life. Your father gave you a second chance, don't mess this up, please"

"I hear you mother"

"Good. Be here in an hour" she says and drops the call.

Donovan steps out of the car and walks into the empty house. He takes a long shower and changes into black jeans and a black shirt. He tries to call Celiwe but she's not picking up. He sits on the bed and writes her a massage begging her. He waits for a reply but it doesn't come.

He gets in the car and drives to his parents house.

"Oh! my boy!" her mom welcomes him with excitement leading him to the dining area where everyone is.

His father, Elizabeth and an unfamiliar face.

"Evening" he greets before pulling a chair to sit.

"Donovan! where your manners?" Her mom says, Donovan frowns "You're just going to ignore Lilly?" she asks referring to the girl sitting across him who flashes him a shy smile.

"Lilly?" he asks trying to recall a Lilly he knows. It clicks. Lilly was a daughter of one of her mom's friends. She came to the house almost everyday, they would play together and that was years ago, he was 10 or 11, that's why he failed to recognise her when he walked in, she's grown and she looks different. Completely.

"She came to visit and I just had to ask her to stay for dinner. She's a doctor, can you imagine?" his mom says in excitement as Donovan hugs Lilly.

"I wouldn't have recognised you even if I bumped into you at town" Donovan says and Lilly laughs.

"It's funny that you were smaller than me now you're so tall and big" shebssys looking up at him.

"You were actually older than me"

"No I was not! You were just taking your time to grow" she says and they both laugh.

"Okay, enough you two. Let's eat before the food gets cold. Elizabeth and I put so much effort here" his mom says and they all settle down on the table to enjoy the deliciously home cooked meal.

There's nothing but laughter on the table as Lilly and Donovan reminisce about their crazy childhood moments.

"Where is Connie? I haven't seen her in years" Lilly asks.

"She's engaged and she recently had a baby boy" -Donovan

"Yep, she settled for a taxi driver" Donovan's mom says "Hopefully she doesn't regret it"

"She won't, Jackson loves her, she's happy and I am happy for her" -Donovan defends.

"Enough about Connie, Lilly, when are you settling down?"

"Let me just say, as soon as I meet someone right. I haven't had much luck in the relationships department. I don't want to settle down for the sake of it. I want whoever I choose to be someone I click with, someone who understands me" Donovan's mom is smiling.

"I'm wishing you all the luck, you're an amazing young woman and any men would be lucky to have you in their lives. Only a fool would let a woman like you go" she says looking at Donovan.