18

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 18

[NARRATIVE]

It's been 5 days since Donovan was dragged into a room and beaten almost to death. He's still traumatised,  he trembles even to the mention of Mahlathini's name. The girl who has been taking care of him said he's on his way. He will kneel down and apologise for what he did. He will beg for him to let him go. He will do anything.

After all this he's going to fix his life, get a new purpose in life. He almost lost his life for being stupid. Everything Connie said about him was right. He's been a disappointment from the youngest age. He grew up with everything and with a mindset of believing he deserves everything. When he didn't get the company as he had hoped, he felt worthless. And Connie made things worse. He was hurt. That's why he said all those things and worst slapped her. He didn't mean to do it.

The door opens and he quickly stands up. The tall dark man walks in. He drags a chair and sits while Donovan stands. He leans forward resting his elbows on his knees "I'm listening" he says in a raspy voice.

"I'm sorry for what I did to Connie, for all the things I said. I didn't mean to hurt her, I would never do it on purpose. I was angry, and drunk, please" he's stuttering. He can't spend another night in this room, he wants to go home.

"You're lucky I didn't kill you. You won't be lucky next time" he stands up and Donovan takes a step back "If you dare come close to Connie again, I will reunite you with your uncerstors" he says with a click of a tongue and walks out. Donovan breathes out in relief.

"I want my money" Celiwe says handing Donovan his car keys and wallet "nothing is for mahhala, I was your nurse here"

"How much do you want?" He's thankful for all she did for him, he would have died if it wasn't for her.

"R500" she says with a wide smile. Donovan nods. She deserves more than that.

They walk out of the Tarven, it's still early in the morning, there are no customers just the workers. He's leaping and holding on to Celiwe for balance as they walk to the car.

"Take this" he gives her a bank card, he writes a pin number on a piece of paper together with his phone number "You will call me when it gives you problems ... but there's a lot of money in there, you will take care of your son" he says with a smile. He's been listening to her talk about her son and how she wants to give him the best life and everything she didn't have growing up.

Celiwe is left speechless, she just wanted R500. Maybe this card doesn't even work. She's going to town as soon as she knocks off to test it.

*
*
*

MAHLATHINI

Mahlathini walks into the kitchen to find Nomeva sitting on a grass mat and grinding peanuts. The old lady is always cooking, if she's not in the kitchen she's in the garden.

He sits on isiqgiki. There's an important matter he has to talk to her about, he doesn't know where to start so he asks how her day is going. Nomeva is not easy, and the idea of him taking a white woman as a wife might sound absurd to her.

"Amahlalakhona, I'm going to the funeral later"

"Later?"

"Yebo, there will be a night service, they'll burry before the sun comes up"
She never misses any funeral in the village, if it's close she will go even if she doesn't know the deceased.

This means Thando will be spending the night with him and Connie today. For the first time. Him and Thando have talked briefly about how she would feel if he finds her a mom, she was more than excited. And Connie is as excited to meet her.

The only person he's not sure about is Gogo. He takes one deep breath to gather strength "Kunendaba la Ntombendala" he says leaning forward and resting his elbows on his knees. Nomeva stops grinding peanuts and looks at him.

"I'm seeing someone, it's been a few weeks but I'm sure about her and I want to make her my wife" there's silence in the kitchen only the clicking of the wood in the fire, she's just looking at him, Mahlathini is holding his breath. After a while she smiles and continues grinding the peanuts.

"I've been waiting to hear that for a while now... ontanga bakho baganiwe" he chuckles. He didn't want to rush into marriage. After what happened with Thando's mother he wanted to be sure the woman he takes is into it as much as he is.

"She's not Zulu ...or black" Nomeva stops grinding the peanuts again.

"Uthini Jama?" She didn't get the name Nomeva for nothing.

"She's white" he mumbles.

"Iheee! Ayke!" the nice religious woman is out the window in a split of a second "...you must be joking inkosimpela" The one left is the oppressed black woman. The one who suffered the harsh hands of apartheid for 46 years.

"Her name is Connie Morgan and I love her" she snorts and continues grinding the peanuts, she's doing it aggressively now.

"I want no white woman emzini kaGijegije, that will happen masengifile" she stands up and leaves the kitchen.