32.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 32

[NARRATIVE]

"Help!!" Celiwe runs inside the hospital like madwoman. The nurses quickly rush to her. She directs them to the car where Mahlathini is. She's crying. Although his pulse is still there. He's cold like ice "He can't die, make sure he doesn't die!" she shouts to the nurses, Donovan holds her. Who would do such a cruel thing to a Mahlathini. He's a kind man whose always laughing and willing to help people. If it wasn't for him, she'd still be that Celiwe who sleeps with Amakula for a mere R500 "He can't die" she cries.

"He won't, he will be okay" Donovan says wiping her tears with his thumb. If he was a person who holds grudges he would have left him there to die for what he did to him but he's not that kind. People deserve a second chance in life, he's a good judge of that.

"I'm calling Vusi" Celiwe takes out her phone and quickly scrolls through it.

"Vusi, Bhut' Mahlathini is in the hospital right now we-"

"Send me the location"

"Ini leyo?" Donovan takes Celiwe's phone and quickly sends the location to Vusi.

Just then, they are called inside the hospital by one of the nurses "Are you his sister?" the nurse asks Celiwe.

"No I-" she runs back inside before Celiwe can finish the sentence.

"Who would do such a thing to Bhut' Mahlathini kodwa"

"I don't know, but whoever it is, they should run" Donovan says getting flashbacks of that night, he will never forget it. But he deserved it for what he did to Connie. If anyone was to slap Celiwe, he would beat the hell out of them.

She walks back to the car and takes a sleeping Nhloso, she wraps him in a fleece blanket before they go inside to wait.

The nurse is back, she's even sweating from all the running "Do you know your blood types? he needs blood transfusion and we're-"

"I'm AB positive" Celiwe quickly says.

"Are you sure?" Donovan asks looking at her, he's surprised.

"Yes" the nurse quickly grabs her and they walk away.

A few minutes after, Vusi and his men arrive. They go straight to the reception where they are told to wait.

Donovan spots Connie but she doesn't see him. She looks devastated. She a very emotional person and this must be too hard for her. He feels the urge to go to her but those men don't look welcoming. So he remains seated.

He has made peace with losing her. He never stood a chance. She loves Mahlathini. He's nothing close to the man he is, he knows that. He also knows that he was never going to give her the love she deserves, he was only pushed by wanting to prove his father wrong. To be seen worthy, it was all for the benefit of him.

A lot has happened since he met Celiwe. He has changed into a whole different man. He values life more than the materialistic things or power. All of those things are worthless to him now. Celiwe and Nhloso are his family and he's determined to give them the best life.

Celiwe is back and Connie quickly rushes to her. She starts explaining what happened which seems to make Connie even more emotional. She sits down on the bench and cries while she comforts her. After she has calmed she stands up and walks to Donovan, Vusi is by her side.

"Thank you" she says her voice breaking in the process.

"It's okay" she nods, she's about to walk away when he calls her. He takes a deep breath "I'm sorry -for everything I said ...and did"

"It's all right, I've forgiven you" she says before walking away.

*
*
*

CONNIE

It's been 3 days, he's still in ICU. The blood flow to his heart is low, he can't breathe on his own. The doctors are not promising us anything, there's only a 5 percent chance he'll get out of ICU and I'm holding on to that chance. I'm not going to give up on him.

His mom and sister arrived yesterday. I've been a little bit better with them here. Celiwe has been here with me since. If it wasn't for her and Donovan we'd be telling a different story.

"Here" Nokwanda hands me a takeaway. I haven't been able to stomach anything. I'm nauseous, anything I put in comes out.

"Thank you" It's a salad. I begin eating.

Just then, the doctor appears. We all stand up. His mom holds my hand tight. The look on the doctor's face is not of someone who has good news.

"We discovered a new problem..." he says looking at all of us. My heart sinks to the pits of my stomach "He has lung cancer. Lucky enough it's still in the early stages. We have to get him to the OR. The tumors are pressing against his airways and narrowing the air passages which is why he's getting less air into the lungs. The surgery is going to be risky but it has to be done or he will die" my head turns and I quickly sit down.

"Do what's necessary to save his life
... please" his mom says and the doctor quickly walks away.

A sharp pain cuts at my abdomen that I hold my stomach. I might be getting my peri-

"Ahhh!!" I kneel down this time.

"Connie!" Nokwanda quickly rushes to me "Oh God, she's bleeding mama" she says and that's when I feel the hot blood running down my legs, my hand comes back dripping.

"Nurse!!" her mom shouts while laying me down on the floor. I'm confused.