22.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 22

CONNIE

"Will you relax?"

"I can't relax, what if I get in there and say the wrong things?" I sigh and take his hand into mine.

"Everything will be fine. Yes, dad is intimidating but he's a nice guy trust me he will like you" he takes a deep breath. He's not himself, there's something else in the air but I can't figure out what it is.

"Ok" he finally says, I kiss him and fix his shirt. He's looking hot and dapper in this black tux. My handsome Zulu man.

"Thando and I will go do some girl shopping"

"She has an expensive taste"

"Well, we have that in common" he chuckles and kisses me "I love you" I say wrapping my arms around his neck, he holds my waist and gives me a brief look. He's looking into my eyes as if he's reading something.

"I love you more than you can imagine, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you" he says in a soft tone, now I want to cry. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him too.
Dad better not mess things up for me, he better not!

I watch him walk into the house before returning to the car where Thando is waiting for me "Are you ready" she shouts a "Yes!" in excitement, I can't help but laugh.

When we get to town we start at the Salon. We get stares as we walk in. I'm used to it now. Being with Jackson in public gave me the confidence. He doesn't care, if he feels like kissing me, he will do it. He definitely cured my shyness.

"Can I also have a manicure and pedicure?" I ask the girl who nods with a wide smile.

"I will do it" she says in excitement.

"Great then" she guides me to where I'll sit while Thando explains to the girl who will be doing her hair what she wants. Sometimes I forget she's 4.

2 hours later we are done "What does gogo like?" maybe we can get her something.

"She left" she says

"She left?"

"Yes. Dad was mad at her"

Ok. What is Thando talking about?

"Why was he mad at her?" she shrugs. I knew something was up, he's not himself. Why would he not tell me? I thought we share everything.

I take a deep breath and shove all the negative thoughts to the back of my head. I want to enjoy this day with my stepdaughter.

*
*
*

[NARRATIVE]

Since Nomeva arrived they've been catching up with Coshiwe. They haven't seen each other in a while and there's a lot to talk about. She hasn't mentioned the real reason why she's here yet.

The sun is out and frying today. They are seated outside under a tree with a bottle of coca cola with them. Gebhu walks past them straight into the house. He is Coshiwe's husband and he very much hates Nomeva. Ever since she arrived, he's been trying by all means to avoid her.

"So what really brings you here Sisi because I know it's not because you miss me" Coshiwe says looking at her sister, she knows her too well and something is definitely up.

"Your grandson is the reason I'm here, he needs a wife" Coshiwe stares at her.

"You must be joking"

"I'm not, I'm here to find him the right woman"

"You will not do it la kwami, if you're on that agenda again, go somewhere else. I don't want to get involved"

"Who said you will be involved?" She's didn't even ask for her assistance.

"Did you tell that boy the real reason why his mother left?" Nomeva frowns. Sizakele left because she wanted to. She was never good for her son and she has nothing to do with that.

"Mahlathini wants to marry a white woman and I will not let that happen" Coshiwe is laughing, not because it's funny, she's in disbelief.

Didn't her sister learn from her past mistake? Mahlathini's father loved Sizakele, he adored her and she destroyed that, she's on the same quest again.

"I will tell you one thing. If Mahlathini finds out you're the reason his mother left him, he will hate you forever. You have to be really cruel to want to do this to him, are you not fulfilled he's growing up without a mother, now you want to choose the woman he should marry, do you even love this boy?"

"How can you ask me such nonsense-?"

"From where I'm sitting you want to destroy his life, and so far you're doing an exceptionally good job" 

"Ungangibhedeli Coshiwe I-"

"You have to leave" Coshiwe says getting up "I will not let you do this to Mahlathini, hamba uyothakatha le kude, hhayi la kwami!" She says showing her the gate. She always wonder why Gebhu hates her, she sees it now.