25.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 25

[NARRATIVE]

Life has its way of dealing with people, or is it just karma? It's a bit of a same thing. The bad you do to people always come back to you, it might not come back the same way but it comes.

When Nomeva got into a taxi to KwaNongoma she had no idea things would just turn south so quickly. She shouldn't have come. She didn't think things through, her decision was irrational, she sees that now.

Or is it God finally deciding to punish her for all the bad she has done? She has prayed for forgiveness, she prays everyday. God forgives, no matter how bad you are, if you come to him, he forgives.

"Please help!" Nokwanda is shouting at the top of her lungs as she runs into the hospital. One nurse comes rushing
to her. Even though this is a government hospital, the service is on another level, her mom is one of the people who makes sure of that. They call her 'Nkanyamba' she takes no shit "KunoGogo in my car, I think she's having a stroke or a heart-"

The nurse doesn't wait for her to finish, she quickly grabs the wheel chair and rushes out. Nokwanda is following behind her. After today she's never giving anyone a lift, what if this old woman dies?

"She better not" she says with her arms over her head as she paces up and down. She'll get suspended today if not fired. Dubulageqe takes no excuses. Work is work, your life comes after it. She's panicking.

After a few minutes the nurses succeed in removing Gogo out of the car. She quickly takes out all her bags and follows them inside. She has to leave. Now.

*
*
*

MAHLATHINI

He's at the rank today. The past week  has been nothing but emotionally draining. He needs to clear his head and also have a chat with Shibase on the way forward. He's not going to wait just because one person is not accepting of his plans. He respects Nomeva but when it comes to Connie, he will do anything.

"Sjakajaka!" Smiso says to him as he steps out of the Jaguar. He's surprised that he's even talking to him. They've been avoiding each other since that day where he asked for a million "unjani bafo?" he asks leaning against the jaguar while puffing the cigarette.

"I'm good" Mahlathini says, he doesn't want to give much. He's a good judge of character and right now he sees nothing but pretence in Smiso. He might be wrong but still.

"I was hoping we can go out man, it's been a while"

"Yeah, I have a lot going on right now, I have no free time"

"Aw ndoda, just drinks, and then you will return to your rich life, usuyasilahla manje?" Mahlathini chuckles, he wasn't wrong. There's nothing to this than pretence. Unfortunately he doesn't have time for nonsense, he has real issue to deal with.

"We'll talk ndoda, I have to go" he says and leaves Smiso leaning against his car.

He finds Shibase with his usual group. They don't drive much, they just come here to keep an eye on the boys and ensure they are doing their jobs. Shibase owns over 20 taxis in rank alone. That's 30 years of hard work.

"Bahlonoshwa" he says squatting down, he can't sit until they say so. They ate not his age mates. He respects that.

"Ndodana" they acknowledge him and show him a seat. These man have had his back for years now, when he started the taxi business they were the ones pushing him. Today he's faced with a different problem, he needs their help because he really doesn't know what to do with Nomeva.

The person he thought would also be a problem was Connie's father but he have him a go ahead as long as he treats his daughter like a Queen and never hurt her.

"What is the rest of the family saying?" 'Mkhize asks

"I don't know anyone else other than Coshiwe. She's the only one left"

"You have to contact her, as much as we want to step in, we can't no go beyond family, we need permission and guidance from umndeni. Kunamasiko that need to be followed. If you want your marriage to stand strong, things have to be done the right way" he sighs deeply. This is the first time where he wishes he knew his mother's side of the family. Omalume would have made things happen for him very quickly.

"Get in touch with Coshiwe, if she's accepting, we'll go ahead" Shibase says, Mahlathini nods. Coshiwe is his last hope now.

His phone rings as he gets up. He doesn't know the number so he presses answer and waits for whoever the person is to speak "Am I talking to Mahlathini?"

"Yes..."

"Sir, I'm calling you from KwaNongoma hospital, uGogo uNomeva is admitted" Mahlathini is quiet "...we need you to come to the hospital" the lady says, this is something he didn't see coming.

"Ok" he says and drops the call. He takes a moment to level his head, what does he do now?

He sighs and dials Connie's number while walking to the car.

"My love, Gogo has been admitted at the hospital, I have to go there-"

"I'm coming with you" she quickly says before he can finish the sentence.

"Ok. I'll be there in 15 minutes" he says and hops into the car. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. When he opens them he catches a sight of Smiso from his review mirror.   He's talking to some guy, they exchange something in a black bag before the guy jogs off. He tosses the bag into his taxi through the window while his eyes wonder around to see if anyone saw him.

What is this guy up to?