57.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 57

[NARRATIVE]

It's a beautiful morning, the sun is out and shining. Mahlathini is in the garden watering the flowers while Connie removes the weeds with a small shovel. The flower garden was her idea, this is where she comes whenever she wants to relax and think. Today her man decided to join her.

Mnqobi is lying on the grass on top of a small blue blanket while Thando plays with him, he's laughing at whatever his sister is doing. He'll be turning 4 months in a few days. It feels like yesterday when Connie was at that labour ward cursing and slapping his father. Mnqobi is growing so fast, in fact, time seems to be moving fast which is worrying her a bit.

Whenever things are going great in this family something bad happens. She just wants her wedding to go smooth without glitches.

"The sponsor don't want to pull out" she says getting up and wiping the mud off her knees "Instead, they want us to take their services as a gift"

"A gift?" Jackson looks at her.

"Yep, they are determined"

"More like desparate. They know if they pull out they'll lose the fans they've gained, businesses can't survive without a social media presence these days" Jackson says cutting the horsepipe, he squats down and starts rolling it while his woman watches him. He's wearing shorts and nothing on top. He's looking yummy. After he finishes, she walks over to him and wraps her arms around his waist.

"I know you don't want your life to be laid out there for everyone but we're living in the new age of social media, it's the new way of life. It has its toxicity but there's a good side too-"

"This new way is not our way Connie. As you're saying, it's toxic, I don't want my kids to be exposed into toxicity. The world is bad. I want to live a private life and be able to protect my family. I know you love it but please understand my reasons" Connie sighs

"You're making sense"

"I am, I don't want my kids kidnapped one day because their pictures are all over the media and the whole world knows we have money. I've had my own friend betray me, how much strangers who I have no connection to?"

"I fall in love with you everyday" she says with a smile.

"I'll pull you back when you start drifting to the darkness My Love" he says and kisses her until they are disturbed by someone clearing their throat.

It's Nobuhle.

"Sanibonani" she greets with a nervous smile. Connie starres at her with a blank face. She's  not happy with her presence, more than anything, she's irked. The last time she was here she came with the intentions to destroy her relationship with Jackson, where does she get the guts to set her foot here again?
"How are you?" Nobuhle asks.

"We are fine, what can we do for you?" Connie asks

"I want to have a talk with you Sis' Connie" Nobuhle says politely, she's here to humble herself.

"Talk to me about what?"

"I want to apologize. I did mean to disrespect you. I was jealous but I'm not that person anymore. I want to do things right and have with a relationship with my daughter" she says looking at Thando who is playing with Mnqobi. Connie and Jackson share a look.
"I just need one last chance, I promise I will not disappoint or disrespect you" Connie heaves a sigh

She picks up Mnqobi and invites Nobuhle into the house.

*
*
*

Vusi has been trying to call Nokwanda but it seems like he's blocked and all the texts he sent her didn't go through. He's sitting on his bed thinking of what he should do now. He has no choice but to go to her.