23.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 23

[NARRATIVE]

She can't believe what Coshiwe just did. She chased her out like a dog, her own sister. She's in disbelief, it must be that useless husband of hers who made her do this, umdodovu nje, a good for nothing man. She clicks her tongue and lifts her heavy bags.

She has nowhere else to go. She has no choice but to get in a taxi and go back to KwaDukuza. She came here for nothing, but she is not going to give up. Mahlathini is not marrying a white woman. Ngeke nje.

Right now she's hoping Coshiwe doesn't say anything about Sizakele to Mahlathini. He can't find out about her, not by any chance. She has been hiding it for a good reason. That woman will come back into his life and destroy all her hard work. Mahlathini is the man he is today because of her. And she will continue protecting him.

She finally reaches the station and puts her bags down. There are no taxis in sight and the sun is sizzling hot. She sits down. After a while a red private car makes a stop. The window rolls down.

"Gogo, uyahamba?" the girl in the car yells, she sighs in relief.

"Yebo mtanami" she says getting up.

"Let me help you with the bags" she says with a wide smile, she's wearing police uniform, so she knows she's safe with her.

She loads the bags in the boot before opening a door for Gogo. Nomeva stops just as she's about to get in the car, now that she's up close to her she notices something, that smile, the nose, the eyes.

"Is everything okay Gogo?" she asks. Nomeva shrugs and hops inside the car. People look alike all the time. Sizakele wasn't very lucky in having kids. That's why she had to go out looking for another woman for her son. Jackson came by luck.

*
*
*

MAHLATHINI

When he walked in he found the man seated in front of the TV watching cricket. He greeted and was asked to sit down. He's more intimidating now that he's sitting in front of him. He doesn't even know what to say, so he says the most basic thing "Thank you for inviting me" he says avoiding aye contact, that's respect in his side of the world.

"I didn't invite you" Mr Morgan says. He raises his face to look at him, he finds him looking at him as well, there's an unpleasant look on his face. Why would Connie lie that he invited him when he didn't? "I just wanted to see the man who walks in and out of my house as he pleases, is that what your parents teach you?"

"No"

"So why are you doing it?" He's quiet. Mr Morgan has every right to be upset, he didn't do things the right way, this is not how a Zulu man acts. He allowed his sexual thirst to lead forgetting his morals.

"I would like to apologize on that part, I didn't mean to disrespect you" he says. Mr Morgan remains silent. He takes the bottle of whiskey Mahlathini brought and pours two glasses. He pushes the glass to Mahlathini and picks the other one up.

"Thank you but I don't drink" Mr Morgan stares at him.

"That's disrespectful" he says. This is going to be harder than he thought. This man doesn't like him, he can see it in his eyes "So what is it that you want from my daughter?" He straightens up. He can't mess this up.

"I love her and I want to marry her" Mr Morgan chuckles.

"And you expect me to believe that?" Mahlathini opens his mouth to speak but he's cut off.

"I wasn't born yesterday my boy, I can see right through you. You're a chance taker after my daughter's money. I mean, who wouldn't love and want to marry a millionaire?" he says sipping his whiskey while looking at Mahlathini. There's silence in the room until Mahlathini opens his mouth to speak.

"I don't see a millionaire in Connie. I see a beautiful woman, selfless, caring and respectful. A woman who saw a taxi driver worth being loved. I don't have anything to give her, she knows that too, but she still chooses me. For the first time in my life I'm sure, I have no doubt in my mind that she is for me. If you believe that I'm after her money, that's okay, we all choose what we believe in. I can never force you to see the good in me, I don't even see the good in me. But that woman out there does, she makes me feel more than just a man, she completes and makes me happy, and that's the woman I want to love for the rest of my life"