9.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 9

MAHLATHINI

"Waze wangala ungangitshelanga, wentombi ungiphoxelani ezweni"
He sings as he picks the woods from behind the kitchen. uGogo wants to cook samp, his favourite. His day has been going great and he's about to close it with a deliciously home cooked meal.

"You're in a good mood" Gogo says with her hands on her hips. What's not to be happy about? life isn't bad after all.

Connie is coming to see him tomorrow. He didn't believe it when he received her call, he still doesn't believe it. All he wants is to spend more time with her and maybe ask to to take her out on a date.

"The business is going great Ntombendala"

"I told you going to consult kuSkebhe will help" she says gathering the woods to start the fire. She doesn't like cooking samp on the stove, traditional food is meant for the fire.

He sits down on isiqgiki which belonged to his grandfather. Thando runs in with one of her friends. They are carrying eggs, bird eggs.

"Take those eggs back to where you got them!" Gogo chases them about "...these kids, birds can't lay their eggs in peace" He's laughing at his daughters naughtiness. He was like that too which is why he understands all the crazy things she does.

His phone vibrates in his pocket, its a bank notification and he can't believe his eyes.

This is a lot of money. Enough to fix his taxi, damn, enough for him to buy a brand new one. Why would she do this? He shouldn't have given her the bank account.

He quickly searches her number and stands up leaving the kitchen.

"Jackson" she answers in her angelic voice, for a moment he forgets what he wanted to say.

"You sent a lot of money" he finally speaks.

"It's not a lot" she says. She must be very rich, stinky rich.

"Thank you" Even though he wanted to return it, she will not allow him "I'll see you tomorrow?" He asks, he wants to confirm. If he could speed hours he would, the anticipation will kill him.

"Yebo, I'll come" he's smiling, her Zulu accent is amusing, he reminds him of Thando when she was learning to speak.

Talking about Thando, she's back with the birds nest this time. Gogo loses it immediately, she chases them out of the kitchen with the wooden spoon. Thando runs to his father.

"Have a goodnight Connie, my daughter just kidnapped a birds house" she's laughing with him.

"Goodnight Jackson"

"Iyaphiza lengane yehheni!" Gogo exclaims with her arms over her head.

"We wanted to put food in the nest for mommy bird" Thando explains to her father. He's still laughing, is this what they are teaching them at creche? What happened to counting apples and Bananas?

"Mommy bird will feed herself, let's return the nest"

"Where will she find food?"

"She will hunt"

"Where?"

And so the questions continue. Vusi comes to his rescue. He always brings the taxi after work. Jackson can't risk him taking his taxi to go get drunk with it.

"Awsasho bafo ubambe ingamla"

"Where did you hear that?"

"Everyone is talking about it eRank" he chuckles, he's not surprised, words travel fast around here.

"We're friends" Vusi laughs.

"Bhoza you can be honest with me, man to man, what's happening?"

"You think if I was dating her I would keep our relationship a secret? the whole South Africa will know Baba. I wouldn't even think twice marrying her"

•••TBC