49.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 49

SMISO

After all, there's light at the end of the tunnel. The tunnel might be a long journey filled with lessons but eventually you get where you are going. Smiso returned home with one goal in mind. It was to better his life. He wanted to work hard, to hustle and be a better human being. Obviously. It was bound to be hard.

For a full 3 months he was up and down searching for work with no luck until one of his friends suggested he takes a security certificate. Now he's working as a security at a Chinese supermarket in town. With the money he's earning, he will be able to save and start a small business on the side. From here he's not going to fumble.

He's at work today as usual. The store is packed. It's month end, people are here to collect their SASSA grants and do grossaries. He's standing at the exit of the store signing slips left right and centre. There are crooks who have the guts to steal. He has to make sure none of that happens or he'll lose this job.

"Where's the Maize meal, did you get someone to carry it for you?" He asks the lady with an overflowing trolley while he marks her slip.

"I was told someone will help with it, I'm not seeing anyone I can ask" she says looking around.

"They are still out helping other customers, wait here" Smiso says directing her to wait on the side. She sure looks like she has never shopped at a supermarket before, she's just confused. And her nails are too long to carry plastic bags. Let alone a 25kg of maize meal.

"You're taking a taxi?" Smiso asks her, the rank is a bit far from here.

"No, I came with my car" Smiso nods, she must be in her early twenties and she already has a car? "Honestly, I don't know my way around. I got here by mercy" she says smiling nervously while wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand, she's beautiful too.

"Aren't you from around here?" Smiso asks glancing at her while he keeps signing the slips of customers walking out.

"No, I'm visiting my Dad ...for the first time in my life"

What?

He looks at her.

"Yep, he sort of did a hit and run on my mom. Now I'm grown and I need him. The condition I found him in is not great at all. I'm here doing groceries for his wife and kids" she chuckles at that last part which looks to upset her.
Smiso doesn't know what to say. It's not everyday you come a cross a stranger who just offloads their problems like this.

He checks his watch "I'm taking a half day today. I'll be knocking of in... 30 minutes. I can drive you home ...with your car, if that's okay with you" the girl looks at him "I just want to make sure you arrive home since you don't know your way around. I was a taxi driver once, I know all the coners of KwaDukuza"

"Oh Thank you"

"I'm Smiso by the way"

"I'm Nolifa" he smiles.

"It's nice meeting you Nolifa"

"You too"

*
*
*

[NARRATIVE]

"I'm going to punch you so hard you will forget your name" Connie says to Mahlathini who takes a step back. He already got two slaps since they arrived here. Celiwe and Nokwanda are dead with laughter.

"Nihlekani?" he turns to them and they cover their mouths.

Connie continue walking up and down the room like a duck while holding her burning back. She keeps sitting up every two minutes and standing up again "Fùck! I'm never falling pregnant again or having sex"

"And where does that leave me?" Connie glares at him "I want 5 more" she picks a pillow throwing it at him. He catches it with a smile.

"Get out"

"I love you more" Connie clicks her tongue and sits down again. She's going to kill Jackson sooner or later.

"Where is this doctor? He wants me to give birth on the floor or what?"

"I'm here!" the doctor says walking in. He pulls close the curtain leaving Nokwanda and Celiwe on the other side. Jackson helps Connie lie on the bed. The doctor checks her the centimetres "Umh you're 6.5 dilated ... that is ..one more hour" he says slapping her thighs closed.

"Just do the C-section it's okay" Connie says and the doctor laughs.

"This is a Zulu man. You're delivering him the natural way"

"Jackson, tell your Zulu boy I'm in pain here" He smiles and kisses her cheek.

The doctor leaves and promises to be back in an hour.

*

It's in the early hours of the morning. The Zulu boy has arrived. Connie is in tears, Mahlathini too. The boy is big and healthy. He has a bold voice, his cry is probably being heard even outside the hospital.

"Ikhaladi lakithi!!" Celiwe says in excitement, they all laugh. Nokwanda is just crying "You're next" Celiwe whispers to Nokwanda making sure their brother doesn't hear. Nokwanda hasn't figured how she will break the news to her brother ...even the father of the baby doesn't know yet. As much as the pregnancy wasn't planned, she loves Vusi and she's hoping he will be happy when she tells him.

Mahlathini takes Miracle into his arms. He moves to sit on a chair with his boy on his chest. Happy cannot describe how he's feeling right now. He has a son. Indlalifa. He's going to protect him and Thando with his life. He will never let anything or anyone harm them.

"Thank you" he says laying Miracle back on his mother's chest. Connie looks at her man who has tears in his eyes. He has brought her so much joy and happiness. She will forever honour and love him.