Fighting the Good Fight

Published March 13th, 2024. 

1 Timothy 6:11-12 says, "But you, man of God, flee from these things, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. Fight the GOOD FIGHT." 

What is the good fight? 

The good fight (according to the Bible) is the fight that we stand with in our relationship with Jesus Christ. God brings all things together for good (Romans 8:28 and has the best plan and purpose for us and for all those who love him. 

Why are we called to the good fight? 

We are called to fight the good fight because as Christians (or as believers in Christ) we live in a world that is FULL of temptations. As a follower of Christ, there is a way to which we are called to live for him (there are lots of examples throughout scripture). The key characteristics in this verse are righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. Sometimes, it can feel hard to live out these traits, but that's what is so beautiful about the grace of God! 

He knows that it's going to be hard, but he doesn't expect perfection, all he wants is US! And by working to practice righteousness, godliness (which means following the Word and laws of God), faith, love, endurance (taking the steps to stay faithful), and gentleness, we can become more and more like Christ, which is the end result of the Good Fight! 

Reference Verses: 

RIGHTEOUSNESS: "If you know that he is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteous is born in Him." -1John 2:29

GODLINESS: "Do not conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what i s good and pleasing to God." - Romans 12:2 

FAITH: "Those who know your name trust in you because you have not abandoned those who seek you, Lord." -Psalms 9:10 

LOVE: "But the greatest of these is love." - I Corinthians 13:13 

ENDURANCE: "Endurance suffering as discipline: God is dealing with you as sons. For what is there that a Father does not disciple?" 

GENTLENESS: "You have given me the shield of salvation; your right hand upholds me." - Psalms 18:35 

Prayer: Let us bless the Lord, for he alone is our guide, our redeemer, our Lord, our King, and our Sovereign over all creation. He blesses us with the guidance to fight the good fight- the way to truly love and honor one another and live for you and your glory! Thank you for all that you do, Lord, and in your name, I pray, a loud and loving AMEN. 

May you be able to fight the good fight, and live knowing that you have the Creator of heaven and earth loving you each and every day! He is good. 

-its_lexieyvonne