Taking Our Thoughts Captive

Published April 9th, 2024. 

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 says, "For although we live in the flesh, we do not wage war according to the flesh, since the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but are powerful through God for the demolitions of strongholds. We demolish arguments and every proud thing that is raised up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to obey Christ. And we are ready to punish any disobedience, once your obedience is complete." 

What does it mean to take our thoughts' captive? 

By the power of God, we can take our thoughts captive- good and evil- and turn it towards the Lord and His ways. Our thoughts have great power over us, whether it's our emotions or actions, and our thoughts can lead us down paths that go away from God.

But we don't have to live like that! 

In moments where we feel our thoughts taking over us, making us feel less than, causing us to doubt or fear, etc., we can turn towards Scripture! By turning towards the word of God, we can obliviate these thoughts, changing our perspective towards truth. 

When we worry, we can focus on the places where Jesus tells us not to worry, reminding us that worrying will never add a day to our lives. 

When we're afraid, we can focus on the Word when it tells us not to be afraid and remember that the Bible says 'Do not be afraid' 365 times! (For 365 days) 

When we are tempted, we can lean into God and remember that temptation will never have power over us because God's grace and reign over darkness is greater than any temptation. 

Our thoughts are powerful, but God is GREATER! 

I pray that you will be able to speak the name of Jesus over every thought- whether good or bad- remembering that Jesus is greater than all the darkness, and that the darkness trembles at the name of Jesus. Take your thoughts captive, lean on the Lord, and watch how He changes and moves you into a place of peace. His love is greater, and never forget that He knows you and sees you, wherever you are. Amen. 

-its_lexieyvonne