Every Spiritual Gift is Important

Published May 1st, 2024. 

Every spiritual gift is important.

No matter what anyone says. 

In Acts 6, we see the apostles being confronted with an issue in the early church. The apostles, bless their hearts, were trying to everything they could to keep the community secure with prayer, church life, and giving, etc. (Basically, all the church stuff that our own churches are doing today.) However, they couldn't do it all.  

During this time, the apostles were trying to find people to help administer the people, such as helping the poor and organizing things. And so, they found Stephen, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, Nicolaus, and a proselyte of Antioch to help in the community. 

The apostles said that these men would help in the community "waiting tables" while the twelve would preach, prayer, and minister. 

What is so beautiful about this chapter is that the apostles weren't trying to push these men aside or give them the jobs they didn't want to do, but rather they were giving them the jobs that they knew they could do by the gifts that they were given. 

I don't know about you, but I know that I am not someone who can speak in tongues. I'm not really someone who can heal the sick and injured with prayer, I'm not the greatest preacher, and I don't know if I can perform miracles. But I do know what I am able to do. 

I know I can pray for others; I can intercede on their behalf, I can administer and plan and organize people, I have a heart of mercy and forgiveness. I know that I live by the word of the Lord, and I know that I have the ability to share it with those around me and I know that I have an extreme amount in faith. 

Those are just as important of gifts as anything else. 

Whatever spiritual gifts you have are perfect. They were given to you for a reason. The Holy Spirit didn't give you your gift because He believes you're unworthy or incapable. He gave them to you because He knew that it is perfect for you. 

Romans 12:6-8 tells us, 'We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

1 Peter 4:10-11 says, "10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 reminds us, "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,[] and to still another the interpretation of tongues.[] 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines."

So, no matter what gift you have, it is perfect. The Lord knew exactly what He was doing when He made you. And knew He exactly what He was going when He gave you your special gift. 

-its_lexieyvonne