Jesus went to her anyway...

Published March 22nd, 2024. 

Significance of John Chapter Four: 

This chapter is such a deep and intentional showcasing of Jesus' love for us. 

If you have read John Four (or any of the gospels) you would know that Jesus meets a woman at the well and asks her for water. Now at first glance, it would seem like Jesus is simply thirsty and just asking for water, which leads to a deep connection between the two. But Jesus went there on purpose. 

First of all, this woman was a Samaritan, which was a person who worshipped Yahweh (God) and five other 'gods'. These people tended to be ignored by Jews, but Jesus went to her anyway, knowing exactly who she was. Secondly, she was a woman- and most men didn't associate with women unless it was family, but Jesus went to her anyways. And last but not least, this woman was married FIVE different times. 

As we see in the chapter, Jesus asked the woman to bring her husband, but the women don't have a husband. 

When Jesus meets this woman at the well, it is on purpose! He is seeking her to be His 'bride'. (not to marry her or because He liked her). In Exodus- and all throughout the Bible, Israel and its people are called God's 'Bride'. But as Jesus comes to earth, He's not just seeking Israel, but the whole world. He is seeking to love ALL His people in this moment- even someone like her. 

Someone who is ridiculed, someone who is less than in her community, someone who was probably put to shame many, many times because of who she was. But Jesus went to her anyway. 

He wants to meet her so that they can have an intimate and loving relationship. (Not sexual or really any kind of relationship you can have on earth). Jesus is the only one who can satisfy and fill our thirst for love. By a 'marriage' with Christ, we get to have a FULL loving relationship with Jesus for all eternity. 

John 4:13-14 reminds us, "Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." 

Jesus meeting the woman at the well was VERY intentional. Jesus was meeting his bride. 

Isaac met his wife at a well. 

Jacob met his wife at a well. 

Moses met his wife at a well. 

Jesus meets us at our well too! 

Note: This interaction has ALOT of different interpretations, so I encourage you to go and read this passage think about the ways that it applies to you. I have read this passage multiple times in my life and have interpretated it in several different ways. (I've also read lots of devotionals based on this passage as well). 

I am someone who is always trying to get a deeper understanding of God's love, so after hearing this interpretation, I thought it was super beautiful and loved the way the speaker approached it. I also love when Scripture relates to one another. 

I hope this was encouraging, and as always, please ask questions, add comments, give recommandations, and remember: Jesus loves you, and he wants to have a relationship with you! 

-its_lexieyvonne