Breaking Down Mark 11:24

Published March 16th, 2024. 

Verse: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe you have received it, and it will be yours." -Mark 11:24 

Definition: What does the word 'received' actually mean? Received means receiving what has been offered to you. When we receive something (which in this case when we receive something from God) we are gaining something that is already being given to us. 

Who was Jesus talking to? His disciples. 

Context: Jesus curses a barren fig tree, which alarms the disciples (mainly because they've never seen Him doing that before). When they ask Him why He did so, He tells them that they can ask for anything through faith- not doubt. 

What does the fig tree represent? Our doubts and our unintentional prayers. 

Break Down: Jesus made the fig tree barren to show his disciples that they needed to have faith in their prayers and be intentional with what they were asking for God to do for them in their lives. We are told that if we have faith as small as a mustard seed, we can move mountains, but without faith (and love if we really want to be specific), we cannot. Jesus calls his disciples to not pray in vain, and He calls us to do so too! 

When we bring our requests to God, let us bring them to him with full intentionality, with full passion and faith and hope. That way, we can truly receive what God has in store for us! 

James 1:6 reminds us, "But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind." 

May your prayers be fueled by a faith that burns like a fire in your heart! And as always, if you have any questions, suggestions, or input, please share, I would love to hear it! 

-its_lexieyvonne