God's plan for Shallum

Published April 8th, 2024. 

While reading through Nehemiah, I came across something (via a devotional). For the first few chapters of Nehemiah, we meet a lot of different people, all assigned specific jobs while rebuilding the temple in Jerusalem. One the men who appears in this chapter is a man named Shallum, who is instructed to rebuilt and reroof the Fountain Gate and the Pool of Shelah. (Nehemiah 3:15) 

What's interesting about this specific pool is that in John Nine, it is the same pool in the same temple where Jesus heals the blind man! (NO JOKE LOOK IT UP) 

What's even more crazy is that many of us- myself included- look over these sections of the Bible because they tend to feel very long and almost insignificant. But's it not! God knew that this pool would be important during Jesus' ministry 2000 thousand years later! This one man act of trust and following of God's instructions led to a special place for Jesus to touch someone else's life! 

Our small, simple jobs can be so meaningful and powerful in the Kingdom of Heaven, and we don't even realize it! Our everyday lives, or simply going in the direction that God tells you to go (or in some cases the things that God may move or take away) can lead to beautiful works in the Kingdom of Heaven. We never truly know what God is preparing, or what he has in store for us! 

-its_lexieyvonne