DENY YOURSELF

Published March 29th, 2024. 

Deny yourself. 

If you want to be more like Jesus, we must deny ourselves. Sometimes, the biggest fight we have is against ourselves. When Jesus was in the garden before He was captured, He prayed to God. This prayer always pulls on my heartstrings because what Jesus says here is so profound. 

"Father, if you are willing, take this cup away from me- nevertheless, not my will but yours be done." -Luke 22:42

In this prayer, Jesus wasn't praying against the enemy. He wasn't praying against any demons or lies or pharisees, He was praying against His flesh! The desires of our flesh can overtake us sometimes, so in times of temptation- or frankly each and every day- we need to come before the Lord, surrender, and deny ourselves. This way, we can take up our crosses and follow Him. 

In Romans 8:12 to 13, Paul tells us, "So then, brothers and sisters, we are not obligated to the flesh to live according to the flesh, because if you live according to the flesh, you are going to die. But if you live by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your body, you will live." 

Our flesh is a HUGE contender to our fight in everyday life. The enemy leads us to temptation, 100%, but our flesh is what falls for the temptation. If we were all dying of our fleshes constantly, the enemy wouldn't have as big of a power over our lives (he'd still be around, just maybe not as constant). 

Let us be a people to chose to die of our flesh, living in the Spirit as we are called to in Christ :)

-its_lexieyvonne