Chapter 41

|| Kiba ||

Something deep inside Saya had changed. She showed up to training with a fire in her eyes that reminded me a lot of Naruto when he was younger. Not only was she more serious but she was more angry, and her eyes... There was no emotion inside them. Something that alarmed both me and her father.

"Ha!" She let out a short breath after ramming her knee into a training mat, stretching the rough leather. Her eyes zeroed in on her target she rotated her body midair to strike at the target again with her other leg, then again with her fist.

"Enough" I barked.

But Saya didn't stop. She continued to rip into the target like she hadn't heard me. Like nothing existed except her and the target.

This wasn't like Saya. This anger.

"Enough" I barked again. This time breaking into her world. Her eyes snapped to mine and she froze.

"We're here to train with you and Cuan. Strength you can do alone."

She nodded and retrieved her water bottle as I spoke.

"Alright" she muttered. She found our training useless.

"Why can't you teach me more physical attacks? I want to protect people not put them to sleep.." She grumbled.

I signed and walked over to the young girl, squatting in front if her and rustling her hair.

"Saya. You can't train the body without training your mind. In order to stay in contact with Cuan over longer distances and in order to understand each other better you need to strengthen this connection. You need more then offense to win a fight. Training your mind like this should help with your crystal type chakra and jutsus as well...."

Saya flinched at the mention of her crystal type. She hadn't used it since Ren-kun had died.

"Now. Begin"

Saya sighed in defeat before plopping onto the ground with a soft thud and crossing her legs. Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes and began to mediate. Cuan sat and closed his eyes as well.

"Ready?" I asked quietly. I didn't want to break her concentration. She gave one quick nodd and Cuan took off.

|| Saya ||

I hated training like this. I was never going to improve and Kiba knew that. I wish Ren was here to teach me instead. Not that I would be learning if Ren was here...

"Focus Saya-chan." Cuan-kun said threw our link.

He was close enough I could hear him clearly but far enough away I could feel the strain of the connection pulling. It didn't always feel like this. Only when we tried communicating, or interacting.

I opened my eyes and peaked at how far away Cuan-kun was. Only about thirty feet away.

Wow I'm pathetic...

"Saya" Cuan-kun whined.

I snapped my eyes shut again and tried to relax.

"Ok. Ok. I'm sorry." I signed

"Ready?" Kiba asked.

I squares my shoulders and gave a quick nodd.

I could hear Cuan take off towards the opposite end of the training feild. His small paws crunching the grass as he leap threw the feild.

I could also feel him moving farther away. Even though it was silent between us we were connected. And the elastic like pull that dragged on the corners of my mind as Cuan ran away was certainly unpleasant, but I strained to keep the elastic bubble from breaking.

Damn this was hard! It was like trying to strengthen middle that didn't exist. And I would much rather be lifting weights then this.

"Saya" Cuan barked, demanding my attention.

His voice was very soft and far away, but I could still hear it.

"Hold it." Kiba commanded.

My nails dug deep into my fists as I tried to keep the bubble from breaking.

Cuan let out a low whine, this was hard for him too. With Ren they had a whole life time to learn to hear each other. To train there minds to match each others. they didn't have to work to obtain that connection they just always had it. But with me it was very different. We both had to struggle to keep the connection alive. We had to-

"Augh!" My eyes snapped open when the bubble popped. Alone in my head once more.

Cuan-kun came racing back, climbing into my lap.

Out minds joined together once again as he gave me a big goofy puppy grin.
"That was much farther away then normal. Were getting better!"

"Ya," I agreed "much"

I looked up at Kiba who seemed to be lost in though. After a moment he gave me a smile.

"Very good. Why don't you head home and rest?"

But something was wrong. I could see it in his eyes. He looked worried.

He doesn't think I can do it...

"That's not true!" Cuan chirped. "It's something else."

I shook my head and started back to my house.

"Or we just suck" I muttered back. After all. Nothing worries Kiba.