Chapter 45

|| Saya ||

War. death. fire....

My brain only seemed to be capable of processing a single word at a time. The Butterfly Queens army rained down on our village like acid, destroying everything it touched. Mom and her wolf summons attacked but I was frozen. The sound of screams and build crumbling was overwhelming.

Cuan growled at me.

Move. You need to move.

My legs wouldn't respond. I could feel moms eyes flickering back to me, I could almost hear her silent plea.

Run. Hide. Attack. Do something, anything. Just Move.

The solider mom had been fighting smirked hurling a kunai my way. I felt my eyes widen and my body stiffen but I couldn't get my legs to respond.

"Saya!" I heard mom scream but I couldn't drag my eyes away from the approaching weapon to look at her. I could hear the shift of her feet against the dirt and the slight clink of her weapons as she drew her own kunia to deflect the one speeding towards me. She wouldn't make it in time. Neither would Cuan who I could hear propelling him small body threw the air. Even if i could manage to thaw my body and draw my own weapon I didn't have enough time to react to the blade.

The world seemed to slow.

This couldn't be happening. After everything.

It was my fault. All this war. All this destruction. I should have let the butterfly queen have me. I should have demolished my head band. At least then everyone would have been safe. The leaf village would have every gone under attack like this. All the people who are dying right now. They would stiff be ok. The little girl in the Butterfly Queens palace. She would be ok...

Not everyone. A small voice whispered in the back of my head.

Not Ren. He still wouldn't have given up. He died protecting me, and I couldn't even protect myself from a simple blade.

At least I get to see him again. I get to tell him how much I missed him...

I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the blade to find its target.

After a long moment the world grew quiet and I felt a pair of arms pull me against a strong but comforting chest, drawing me close.

I took a deep breath. The smell of a forest filled my nose.

I buried my face deeper into the familiar smell.

"Ren...." I whispered quietly. Guilt twisted my insides. My parents were going to be heart broken.

Tears sprang up in my eyes as I pulled him closer. My arms slid around his chest tightly. I couldn't stop the tears.

A hand gently brushed against my cheeks wiping the tears away.

But when I looked up it wasn't the familiar brilliant green eyes I was expecting to see.

No these eyes were bright red, and dotted with three black commas.

Aki.