Chapter 42

|| Saya ||

When I got home the house was completely dark. It wasn't that late in the evening but I wasn't really alarmed by the coldness of the house. Mom was nearly killing herself trying to find out more about the women who kidnapped me, and spent almost all her time outside the village. Dad was normally out late working so it wasn't abnormal for him to creep home at any hour of the night. A Hokagas work is never done I guess...

I slipped my shoes off and walked into the house.

"What would you like for dinner Cuan-kun? Slop with kibble or kibble with slop?" I giggled.

Cuan-kun didn't mind the dog food Kiba told me to get him but I gag every time I have to open a can of his wet food. It's vile stuff.

Cuan-kun huffed an annoyed reply before jumping up onto the sofa and closing his eyes. Both mom and dad hated him on the furniture. And even though he could speak threw me and express complex emotion they still treated him like a regular dog. They even went so far as to buy him a dog bed and put it in the living room, but it wasn't nearly as comfortable for him and I didn't mind him on the sofa.

I opened the fridge and started rummaging threw the left overs for something to eat.

"Saya-chan?" I heard dad's voice call from in the other room. "Is that you?"

Cuan-kun let out another annoyed huff and jumped off the sofa and into his doggy bed just as dad turned the corner and walked into the kitchen.

"Smooth" I smirked towards Cuan-kun who's only reply was to close his eyes.

I half smiled at dad.

"You're home early." I noted before returning to my raid in the fridge.

He paused for a long moment before gesturing to the door. "Why don't we go out to eat tonight? Your moms out on a mission and were both lousy cooks..."

I peaked over at him. He looked... Sad. Like Kiba had. I slammed the fridge shut. Causing both Cuan and dad to jump in surprise.

"Is mom ok?" I didn't look away from the fridges metal door while I spoke. I don't think I could handle another person being ripped away from me.

Dad blinked in surprise," of course. Why?"

I relaxed as relief flooded over me, followed by confusion. If that wasn't what was causing this... Then what was?

Dad gave me a weak smile. "I just don't want your mom to come home to a burned down house. That's all."

Lies. Something was wrong.

"Maybe you're being to paranoid..." Cuan-kun commented without stirring from his fake slumber.

Maybe... I thought quietly before giving dad a big fake smile I'm almost certain he saw right threw.

"Ok. Let's go!"