Chapter 3: Training

|| P.O.V Saya ||

"ugh!" I threw another kunai as hard as I could at my makeshift target. My fists clenched tightly as I stared after it in disbelief... The kunai stuck into the target about an inch away from the center. I'd been at this for three hours! The best I'd done is to hit the target's center once. My first throw had been flawless...

'great' I thought bitterly, 'maybe I'll be lucky and come across the enemy on the first throw... And manage to hit him...And it would have to be a fatal hit... Rightttt'

I walked over to the target and pulled my kunai out. I only had three of them. My parents refused to buy me any untill I was a student at the academy, not that I was really in a rush to start there. I just wanted to train. The three I had were from garbage cans... And my target was an old scarecrow I'd found in a river on the way here. Ya I know I'm pathetic.

"stupid overprotective parents" I muttered as I walked back to my throwing spot.

I ran my finger across the ridgid blade of my kunia.

"concentrate.." I whispered to myself softly. It only takes three second...

One.

I inhaled deeply, centering myself. My knees bent a little as I angled myself slightly away from where the target stood, my eyes locked on the bullseye.

It's heart.

Two.

I let my left hand rise slowly. My arm pressed against my chest. My grip tightened on the wepons handle.

'I will hit the bullseye... Belive in your self Saya you can do it!' I thought to myself.

Three!

"Augh!" I threw the kunia as hard as I possibly could. My hand shooting forward.

Thud.

The kunia stuck into a tree about three feet from the bullseye.

I stood starring at it for a minute before sinking down to the ground. Grief washing over me.

No wonder my parents didn't sign me up for the academy this year. They where both such great ninjas! I can't even hit a target twenty feet away.

I let out a low sigh and buried my face in my knees. Maybe I'd grow up to be a great shop owner instead of a ninja... I bet I could make ok ramen...

"Your concentrating to hard." I felt a hand grip my shoulder and I looked up into my fathers deep blue eyes. A ping of anger flared up in my body, but I quickly suppressed the feeling.

"what do you mean?"

"well... It's hard to explain. Try thinking less and just throwing the knife." dad smiled, "the more you think about it the harder it will be. Go on try again."

I signed and stood up.

I threw one of my other kunia. It bounced off the edge of the target. I looked back at my dad helplessly and frustrated.

"I think I see the problem here.." he got up and walked over to the wepon, picking it up he examined the blade.

I already knew what the problem was... I was a god awful ninja! That's what the problem was.

"Saya these are way out of balanced... I don't even think I could hit a target with one of these. Where did you get them?"

My jaw dropped. They where.. out of balance? What did that even mean?

"a trash can" I admitted quietly

Dad smiled and pulled out one of his kunia and handed it to me, "here try again with this."