Chapter 38: Final Goodbye

||P.O.V. Saya||

Aki looked so different. His face had lost a lot of it's childhood roundness causing his face to be much more angler. His hair was longer and came down to his shoulder. The majority of it was tied back into a ponytail, but a few strands hung loose. The biggest change was in his eyes however. Of course it was surprising that he'd unlocked his Sharingan completely, but even more surprising was that the cold, dead, and angry look in his eyes was gone.

"What... Why are you here?" I asked

Aki struggled to find an answer. I could almost watch the wheels I'm his brain turning as he tried to come up with an answer.

"Here" he said suddenly before tossing a letter onto my lap. He turned and started for the window, not even giving me another glance.

"Hey" I said scrambling to grab him before he left. I missed of course but he stopped and threw me a glance over his shoulder.

I gave him a cold, hard look, "I'm still mad at you. Whatever this is it won't change that."

For a brief moment Aki looked sad, but it was gone just as quickly as it'd came. replaced with indifference. He smirked and jumped up onto the windowsill.

"Baka" he whispered, but I wasn't sure he was talking to me.

And with that he was gone.

I stared at the place he'd jumped for a long moment before looking down at the letter. I tucked it under my pillow and started unhooking the many tubes that hooked me to the wall. I turned the heart monitor off before unhooking the clip from my finger, I didn't want the doctors to flood my room thinking I was dead.

Once unhooked I slowly stood. My ankle was still broken but I could tolerate the pain of standing on it after all the butterfly carvings.

I limped over a bag my mother had brought me. I pulled out a pen and paper and wrote a note to any of the nurses that might wonder in and think I was kidnapped again.

It said "gone to see a friend. Be back later."

I placed it on my pillow and made my bed before I changed into a white t-shirt and a pair of jeans my mom packed as my going home outfit. I brushed my hair up into one ponytail and tied my headband on my forehead. Sliding on my shoes I climbed up onto my window and looked out over the village.

My chakra levels were near full so I should be able to make it there and back before the sun rose.

I channeled chakra into my feet and jumped from the window. It was a long fall, almost three stories, but the wind felt nice against my cheeks.

I landed on a small tree branch just outside the fence that separated the hospital and the street. My ankle hadn't appreciated the jump, but it didn't give out.

Taking a moment to collect myself I jumped down into the street and started walking, not entirely sure were I was going. There were three places I needed to go before the sun rose or the doctors came to find me.

Numbly I arrived at my first destination.

I collapsed onto the ground, tears flowing down my cheeks. The hard stone was cold and angry.

"Ren..." I whispered quietly to the K.I.A stone, but he wasn't there. All that was there was his name, engraved under countless others.

I left a small white flower I'd found on the stone anyway, but moved on the next place I needed to go.

I didn't realize it but about halfway there I'd started to run, as fast as I could without using any chakra.

It felt good to run even though my ankle was started to ache.