Chapter 7 The Bond

The candles had been blown out when I woke up. It seemed to be about 07:00 PM, I'd slept through the entire day. My eyes still felt droopy and had sleep left in them. My hair was also a mess, considering it was wet when I fell asleep. Sleeping was nice, it's like everything is good for a couple hours. I sat up and stretched my arms.

"You're up." Harry appeared next to me and made me jump. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." He smiled softly.

"It's fine." I said sleepily, rubbing my eyes.

"You need to be careful with candles, can't really save you from them." He said and I looked up at him.

"Fire?"

"Yeah, it can kill me." He said kind of sadly and sat down next to me on the bed. It made me wonder how he'd saved me and Robin from the fire at the farm shed. Harry put an an around me, I felt like I didn't want him too but I couldn't push him away again. I literally could not. Something in me told me I needed him here, right now. I felt closer to him than normal.

"Do you ever miss them?" I asked him.

"Who?"

"Your family." It felt wrong asking him about it, since it must be personal, but I felt like he trusted me enough.

"Yeah, I do. Especially mum." He sighed. "I was definitely a mummy's boy." I grinned at him, I could only imagine.

"I miss my older sister as well, Gemma. And my dad of course."

"I'm sorry." I looked up at him apologetically, but he only smiled at me.

"Don't be, they died of old age. I'm the only one left in our blood line, but Gemma's kids lived on." He looked really happy talking about them.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to the rest of your family's blood line?" I was careful asking.

"They died, in the First World War. That was in the early 1900 hundreds. They were all human so I couldn't protect them. A bomb wiped them all out." Harry had a look of guilt and regret in his eyes. "Now I'm the only one who can continue our family."

"Vampires can have babies?" I looked at him shocked and slightly amused, from everything I'd heard vampires couldn't have children. They're practically dead.

"Yes." He laughed at my expression. "It is extremely rare, though. You need a powerful witch and-" I cut him off.

"There are witches?" There was a whole other world that no one knew about?

"Yes, of course." Harry laughed at me and I felt stupid.

"Werewolves?" I asked hopefully.

"Not sure, never seen one." He shrugged. "Anyway, the witch gives the vampire woman a cure so she becomes human, or something like that, then she.....eh......becomes pregnant and when the baby is born she becomes vampire again." He explained. "Since I haven't actually done it myself, and I don't know anyone who has, the whole process is quite unclear. There are great risks involved too, so people tend not to."

"So it's kind of like she gives a life for a small amount of time and then gains one for eternity." I smiled.

"Yeah," Harry nodded, "I've never thought of it like that. You're smart, Saoirse. Bet you did good in school."

"I never went to school. We were poor and I had to work, but Dad said it didn't matter because we had happiness and love. We never had trouble getting food or water and always had a roof over our heads. Mum even got me some make up for my birthday once." I laughed bitterly. "But school would take up too much of the time and we wouldn't have made half of the money we did make. Plus I was never interested in academics." This was the first time I really told him something about my family. I felt like I could trust him and that I should be with him. He keeps you safe, was what my head was telling me.

"What did you work with?" Now it was Harry asking me the questions, it felt nice for a change.

"Mum always wanted a bakery, but we couldn't afford it so she made food for the poor at home and sold vegetables and fruit to markets and Dad worked in the coal mines. Robin had to go with him in the mines and learn whilst I was stuck trying to improvise meals of the little material, or food, we had." I hated cooking, I could never imagine anything worse. Mum wanted to help the poor, yeah I did too but it wasn't a desire of mine. And we were so poor ourselves, it made it even harder.

"What do you really want to do in life?" Harry asked, tightening his arm around my waist. I again felt something in the pit of my stomach.

"I want to sing." He laughed as the words left my mouth and I felt embarrassed. It must be a silly dream since he's laughing.

"I think that's pretty obvious. Your voice is amazing." He smiled and I felt relief.

"It's not that amazing." I blushed, dropping my gaze.

"Uhm, I've lived for over a thousand years and a voice like that is one in a million. I can't remember last time heard such a beautiful voice." My heart fluttered as he showered me with compliments.

"It's nice to open up to you a bit."

"It's the bond." He replied sourly, throwing me off a bit.

"Bond?"

"The feeding earlier, I already told you." He muttered.

"Why does that make you so sour?" I asked getting a bit irritated with his sudden mood change.

"Because you're opening up to me because you feel like you have to, a bond is powerful."

"Oh..." I was all I could get out. Harry's arm around my waist pulled me further to him. "Have you ever bonded with another?" I don't know where all these questions were coming from and I felt rude, yet I didn't have a guard up. They just fell out of my mouth like word vomit.

"No." He answered quietly. "Another reason why I didn't want to feed of you from the start. The lust and the bond together I just...." He stopped mid sentence and I felt bad for him, so I wrapped my arms around him.

"Not even with the woman you were with, that you loved?"

"She was a vampire when we met and so was I, so we couldn't." Something was upsetting him, that was clear.

"What's wrong?" His greens irises showed sadness and as always, his eyes were giving him away.

"Just tired." He brushed it off, clearly not wanting to talk about it and this time I didn't pry. "I was gonna cook dinner, anything special you want?" He offered.

"No, anything's fine really."

"Oh, and just so you know Zayn's coming over for dinner. Apparently he has someone he wants you to meet." The sadness in Harry's eyes had disappeared and he was now wearing a grin.

"That I'm going to meet?" Who in the world could that be?

"Yeah, don't worry. You'll love her." He smirked. Her?

"A girl? Is Zayn together with someone?" I'm not gonna lie, it was going to be nice with some female company for a change.

"Firstly yes it's a girl and second you'll have to ask him." Harry jumped off my bed and made his way throughout to his room.

"Where are you going?" I asked, peaking my head out of my room.

"To get ready, I do it at vampire speed so I suppose you better start dolling up." He smirked and disappeared into his room. I sighed as I walked to my wardrobe trying to find something to wear. I was so excited to meet this girl. But who was she?