Chapter 36 New Eyes

(Third persons point of view)

The sound of skin tearing. Blood seeping through the wounds, running down. The smell of raw, red blood. The cracking of bones, causing teeth to itch. The new instincts taking over.

Her eyes opened. The world was a darker place. Every detail was in front of her. She could still see death glued to the inside of her eyelids. Her undead heart beating against her ribs like a drum. The smell of fire and smoke was still in the air. And with every beat of her heart she saw another detail in the sky above her. Her body was still heavy and difficult to move but it seemed as if she got a pound easier with every breath. She turned her head to the side.
The image before her was disturbing. The man she loved and a wooden stake through his stomach. With every inch of power within her she managed a whisper;

"Harry....." The shock he showed from body language proved that she'd been heard. Viciously he pulled the stake out of himself, coughing blood as he did so. A groan was heard from him as the wound started to heal slowly and he tried making his way over to her. He fell to his knees next to her. He couldn't believe her eyes were open or that she'd just spoken his name.

"Wha- You're alive?" He half stuttered. "How is that possible?"

She knew he didn't want the truth. She didn't either. She hardly had any recollection from right before the black out except his green eyes and she didn't understand why. But what she knew very well was how she was awake. How she had felt her heart beat like it was the first time.

Images started flashing through her head. First cages, then a wound, then Liam, Harry and.... Harry. His hands reaching to stroke her face, or so she thought. With the snap of his hands everything had went black.

"You..." She stated, tears starting to gather in her eyes. He'd done this to her. With the toxic vampire blood in her system and the snap of his fingers. A pit was in her stomach and she could already feel the need of it. The smell had woken her and her senses.

Everything was clear now. She could see, smell, hear, sense in a completely different way. There was an itching in her teeth and hands.

"No, no please!" He panicked from the look in her eyes. The emotion within them were so much more than just dissapointement, hurt, anger. They were not the same nor would they ever be. "I was just about to stake myself. I did it before Zanita would have a chance! I love you and I wouldn't be able to live without you, you saw the stake through me!"

He was sweating, nervous that this explanation wouldn't be enough. She'd gone through a lot because of Zanita and him doing things for her. After all, how do you forgive someone for killing you? Her eyes were welling over and she could no longer find words. As angry and frustrated she was with him she couldn't take her focus off the red stains on his clothing.

He noticed her intense gaze on the stains and he could see her pupils dilate just from the thought of consuming it. This was never supposed to happen, he thought. They should both be dead by now.

"Right now my mind is everywhere else and I don't want to focus on what just happened." She made sure she was heard and put up a strong facade. "We have a lot of work to do."

He gave her a questioning look. Was she talking about finding blood? Getting out of the forest?

She was a bit unsteady when back on her feet and her mind was telling her to rip someone's head off, sucking them dry, but she also had other things to think about. She did her best trying to put it at the back of her mind.

He stood up, giving her a reassuring glance. He was relieved that she was alive, well not alive, but breathing and in front of him. Though it was a burden, what would happen now?