Chapter 52 Requiem

Saoirse

I didn't get any sleep last night. Harry and I talked through the remaining hours of the night and now we were preparing to go back inside the walls of the capital. I could hardly remember returning. So much of yesterday was just a tear filled blurr. Louis had given me a new uniform instead of the cut up one from yesterday, I'd been reluctant to put it on. I wasn't even sure if I could go in there, the sights would haunt me for years but we needed to locate Serena and Zayn. We'd received message from them that they and most of their troop was okay and inside of the walls. Though we were yet to find any trace of Liam and Julia. They never came back yesterday and we hadn't heard anything from them or their troop.

My hands rested on top of my protected stomach. It was like I could constantly feel him. I knew he was there, it was just odd. I really wanted to get in contact with my father again, he too should know. It would be his first grandchild. Though he probably wouldn't be happy considering my age and the fact that Harry was the father but nevertheless it was continuing our bloodline. But I would prove to him and to everyone else that I was going to be a brilliant mother.

"You ready?" Louis placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts. I nodded in response and we both went to get Harry. He looked far from good, having his whole back, shoulder and arm bandaged to keep it in place. He was not too move it or to carry out any heroic acts as Una had put it. She hardly even agreed on letting him go. It took at least an hour of persuading.

"Don't I look ravishing?" Harry smiled, holding up his right, healthy hand. I sighed shaking my head, with a faint smile on my lips before heading to the car. We'd be bringing some more survivors that had returned to head quarters with us. They also wanted to look for friends and other loved ones. The drive into the capital was silent and slow. Harry's attention was on my hand resting in his, Louis staring blankly out at the grey sky which was contaminated with smoke from yesterday. It hadn't taken long for the fight to die down after the LETS and military lost any kind of leader. They were easily defeated and we seemed to so far be successful. Except for Harry.

Just the thought tugged at my heart, I wanted to cry so badly. But I couldn't and I wouldn't. I need to be strong for him and our..... child. The thought was still so new and odd to me. Neither did I know if this was coming at a good time or the worst time possible.

Harry removed his hand from mine, a confused frown washing over me. Instead he placed it on my stomach, a proud smile on his face.

"Can you feel him?" He asked, not able to contain his large grin. Louis' head snapped over to us as it was the first words anyone had spoken since we got into the car.

"I can." I smiled, placing my hand on his. Once again I felt that warm bundle in my core, the warmth from Harrys hand threading through to him.

"So, we're certain it's a he?"

"Don't say it!" I scolded him. "It so happens to be our baby."

"But it's a boy- shit, sorry not it- eh, he's a he?" I couldn't help but giggle at him. "Not sure if I'll be too good at this parenting."

"No, I mean aren't you a little young?" Louis sarcastically remarked at Harry who faked hurt.

"Well, I'll always be a child at heart." He shrugged, contently staring through the car window.

"I call godfather." Louis chuckled, he too returning his gaze to the window.

I really dreaded whatever we would find. I didn't have a particularly good gut feeling but then again that could be from the news of Harry weighing me down. I thought all of this weight would dissolve from me after the whole operation but in fact it just felt like another two tons had been added. One for Harry and one for me being pregnant. I was yet to make my mind up about how I felt. I was happy about it of course, but it felt like everything was just building up on a crumbly base that would give in any moment - that base being me.