Chapter 16 Burning

"You what!?" He burst out laughing. My cheeks went even redder than before. He compelled me! He really compelled me to tell him. I had never felt more embarrassed in my life. I guess I was just so caught in the moment whilst thinking those thoughts.

"I'm sorry I just, it was so in the moment and I-" he didn't let me finish, which was good because I had no idea where I was going.

"Saoirse, I'm not blaming you." He laughed. "It's natural to have thoughts like that, everybody has them. I mean I've imagined you and-" He cut himself off, realizing he was just about to admit the same thing to me. His cheeks started turning slightly pink and now it was my turn to laugh at him.

"Not so funny is it?" I sniggered. His eyes locked with mine as he examined me closely. He turned so serious so suddenly, it was odd. He came closer brushing my hair over to one shoulder. I tilted my head, thinking he was still thirsty but he shook his head. I lifted my head again and looked at him. I'd never looked into Harry's eyes for so long before. So emerald and mesmerizing. My bare shoulders were covered in goose bumps as his fingers graced over my collar bone. He was being so gentle with me. As if I'd break any moment. I lifted my hand up grabbing his in mine. Not only because I wanted more contact with him but I didn't want him to feel how hard my heart was beating against my rib cage though he could probably hear it. His eyes flickered to our intertwined hands and so did mine. My hand was so small compared to his. I don't know how long we stood there for but it was certainly a while.

"Do you want to stay?" The words were dry and his voice cracked slightly at the question. My gaze darted to him. It wasn't something I expected him to say. I was convinced it was the bond, once again we'd made it stronger and it would only keep getting stronger.

"But my dad..." I trailed off. In all honesty I did not want to go back. I wanted to stay here with Harry in his cosy old house. In the warmth and with him. I belonged here, not there.

"It's getting late and it's not safe out there..." He whispered in my ear kissing me right under neath it. Shivers and sparks ran through my whole body and my eyelids fluttered close at the sensation. I loved how his hands cupped my face so lovely.

"He'll get worried and..." I couldn't even finish the sentence as he continued to kiss my neck. I'd never experienced anything like this ever before and had no clue what to do. Harry's lips were so soft against my skin. It was the polar opposite to what his fangs felt like. I leaned into his touch, holding his face in my hands. I lifted his head from my neck and wrapped my arms around his neck hugging him instead. His arms embraced my waist tightly.

"Thank you." I whispered to him. "Thank you for everything." I did not want a reply from him. Right now I just wanted this. As if he could read my thoughts he kept quiet and kept me close. My heart ached thinking of how much more Harry meant to me than my own father. My own father who wasn't the same, not in the least. It was so difficult. Everything just made me so confused. My eyes stung and not long after a tear was slowly running down my cheek. I sniffled and wiped it away but Harry had already seen it.

"You'll be fine." He whispered into my hair. "You'll be okay."

I needed my mother and Robin back. My dad wasn't sane without them, I wasn't either. I'd lost so much in such a short amount of time. My family, my home but that's pretty much everything I ever had. I worked and never went to school, I never had time friends and most of the kids in my poor neighbourhood were Robins age. I didn't have that much to lose yet everything was gone. With my head against his chest I could feel the beating of his undead heart. It was soothing but the sorrow was still left within me. I don't feel like I'll be fine, I thought. I don't feel like I'll be okay yet his words helped me. He helped me. But deep down we both knew most of this was the bond. It killed me a little inside to think that this was all magic and not real. Nothing would ever be real between us though I refused to believe it. I couldn't believe it, it was that strong. And with every feed it'll only get worse, or better which ever way you look at it.

I snapped out of thought when I felt his soft lips press against my cheek and the warmth return to my body. I couldn't bring my eyes to meet his. Once again I sniffled, wiping away any excess water from my face. I just cried at any damn thing these days.

"There's nothing wrong with holding onto the smallest source of happiness y'know." He told me quietly.

"There's none left." I muttered, frantically blinking my eyes to keep them somewhat dry.

"Then create it." He smiled walking away from me. I gave him a weird look as he waltzed over to the old gramophone set in his living room and not long after music started playing. It was a soft jazz tune. He dance over to me making me laugh. Harry held his hand out to me and grabbed it. As soon as I did he spun me, making a giggle escape my mouth.

"I have never danced in my life..." I admitted sheepishly as one of his hands rested on my hip whilst holding my hand in his other.

"The woman follows, the vampire leads." He grinned, moving us swiftly across the floor. We danced for ages. Song after song and twirl after twirl. He was a surprisingly good dancer. With every step he guided me. Every now and then I'd accidentally step on one of his big feet but only made it funnier, leaving both of us laughing. He twirled me one last time, leaving my back to his front, his arms around me. He'd made me feel so happy so fast. We swayed back and forth in same position, to the saxophone sounding in the whole house. And soon enough the first song played again, signaling that it was the last one.

Then it happened. Outside of the window. Giant planes flying in over the woods, screams could be heard from inside them. When the largest plane was right above the forest, not even a mile away from the capital, a cage dropped from it. It was burning. And inside of it?

People. At least ten people stuck in that burning cage falling to the ground. Then another one, and another. I rushed over to the window to try to get a better view.

"What are they doing!?" I screamed in panic, watching hundreds of people being lit on fire falling from the sky.

"They're trying to keep us in line." Harry explained calmly, standing next to me. His arms neatly crossed in front of him. He was a vampire, couldn't he hear the loud screams better than me, see it better than me? Didn't he have anything more to say about this sudden outrage?

"What- Why?" I didn't understand it, not one bit.

"They're not humans in those cages Saoirse. They're vampires." He lowered his eyes, squeezing his eyes shut as more screams were heard. Every time a new cage would hit the ground he'd flinch.

"I can hear them Saoirse. I can hear what they're doing on the planes, I can hear their bones breaking as the cages hit the ground, I can see their faces as they fall through the sky. Every command for another cage, every cry for help. I hear them. I hear the children screaming for their mothers Saoirse!" He yelled the last sentence, running his hand through his hair. I knew he was no angel and that he'd killed people but even he had a heart. Tears pricked my eyes as I saw the sky lit up from the burning of the woods.

"That is what they do with us. With my kind." Harry's words were so filled with pain. He'd never admit it later but it angered him. He was angry, sad, frustrated. I couldn't tear my eyes away from the burning forest. I couldn't hear screams anymore but I'm sure Harry could hear exactly what's going on. The planes were circling above the forest to confirm the deaths of everyone thrown down there. The doors of the planes shut and they seemed to leave. I looked over at Harry who had glazed eyes. I'd never seen him so weak. He caught me looking at him and blinked away the water from his eyes.

"Humans are known for being killed by vampires in those woods. Not anymore. Now it's a place of slaughtered vampires." His voice was once again stronger but his expression soft and compassionate. Before I had a chance to speak he'd disappeared upstairs and I was stuck here with the memory of witnessing thousands of deaths.