Chapter 42 Out In The Open

Saoirse

"Are you ready?" Harry asked, holding me in his arms. In all honesty I didn't feel ready at all.

We were here. This was the moment we'd all been waiting for. The show had loved the offer of me coming on and telling this story and wanted me to come as soon as possible. Most probably because the show was so dull that they needed something to try and make it interesting. But what was about to happen was taking a major risk. The gypsies are aware of the legend but we don't know for sure how many people know about it. My father would probably be watching as well. Apparently it had been in papers that someone would speak up about how vampires were out of control.

"Yes." I lied though it was obvious. The set of the show almost scared me. There were so many large lights and cameras and other mechanical devices I had never ever seen before.

When I'd arrived I'd immediately been taken care of. They threw stylists at me, who tried putting some ridiculous eyelashes on me but I refused. Though they did insist on me wearing a dress which they said was made for the occasion. It was a deep shade of blue and was short and very puffy, beyond flamboyant. Something about it all very felt surreal. Everybody seemed too excited to have me here.

"Do you need any blood?" He whispered in my ear, making sure no one would hear. I shook my head. Liam had introduced me to animal blood a couple of days ago and so far I'd been living off squirrels. Harry didn't agree with it though, it's not very hygienic with animal blood but it'll have to do for now. They also said blood bags from hospitals are alternatives but in this state of the war it's too dangerous for us to even go near hospitals. They now refuse to treat any supernatural and witches have been tortured until they put a shield around the building making it impossible to enter if you are not human.

"We need you to be as human as possible." He told me, kissing me beneath my ear. His arms around me were calming. If he let go my heart would be in my throat. My stomach was churning and I felt sick without him around.

Looking the other way I could see Liam and Una. She'd also brought Julia and two other witches. They were going to protect me as soon as the bomb dropped. As soon as I'd made my point I needed to get out of here as fast as possible.

"The gypsies are outside the building." Harry whispered to me again, catching me off guard. I stared up at him in shock. "They'll help protect you. There's a huge screen outside and they'll see everything. They want this legend as much as we do."

"But won't they try and take me?" His words left me uneasy and more nervous than I already was.

"No, that's one thing I was doing when you were in transition. Una and I talked to them, explaining the situation and they're just as anxious as us. Don't worry, they'll help us." He reassured me, kissing the top of my head.

"Ten minutes everybody! Ten minutes!" A man yelled and I saw Ofelia and Cornelius walk on set. They both had tacky over the top clothes on and too much make up. I'm quite glad I didn't let the stylists go near me with those brushes with paint on.

"Ah, Serena welcome!" Ofelia ran towards me in a ridiculous manner in her heels. We'd taken Serena's name since it was quite close to Saoirse but just for now. I'd reveal the meaning of it soon.

"Thank you." I politely smiled shaking her hand which was decorated in long red nails.

"I understand you must be quite shaken considering what's happened to your family, you have my condolences." The sadness in her voice was so fake it made me want to vomit. I just nodded to her and she then went back to the set without a word.

"What a nice woman." Harry laughed with sarcasm. She hadn't even acknowledged him. Now she was back to talking to Cornelius on that couch.

"Listen to them." Harry grinned and I did as told. Having vampire hearing had it's perks.