Chapter 41 Secrets

Zayn

"He's been gone for days." Zanita complained pacing around the room. So far I'd done all I could to keep her away from finding Harry and Saoirse. Liam had told me about everything that'd happened. I was in shock from everything. The legend, Saoirse turning, the plan, yeah everything.

"He's mourning. You have to understand that. Breaking a bond scars you. It's like a piece of you has been ripped away." I told her for the millionth time. She'd done nothing but complain since Harry went missing.

"Fine, but if he's not back by tomorrow night, I'm going out looking for him." She scoffed, before storming out of the room. When she left Serena entered.

"This war has really shaken me up." She sniffled lightly, her eyes red. "You know, a good friend of mine has been taken away and I haven't seen Liam or Harry, not even Julia." Serena did not know about Saoirse being a vampire. The last thing we needed right now was for it to spread to Zanita.

"We'll see them soon. I promise." I held Serena close to me wanting to comfort her. I hated seeing her upset. She was usually so strong.

"She was so young and now she's gone." Saoirse's death had hit Serena harder than anyone expected it to. "And the war is tearing everything apart. I feel like I never see you anymore."

"That's why you should move in with me." I whispered into her thick black hair. For months on end I'd been trying to convince her to move in with me. I want her with me but she's too afraid that her actions will be affected by our bond. But I know it wouldn't, after all this time she should know.

"I can't." She replied, resting her head on my chest.

"Will you ever leave me?" I asked. Her head snapped up, looking seriously at me.

"Are you crazy? I'd never leave you, never." She gasped, tugging at the collar of my shirt. Her actions painted a smile across my face. She was the crazy one, not seeing how obvious we were.

"Then why not be closer? With the war, I want you closer to me. Do you know how scared I am when you insist on walking home alone? You could be kidnapped, you could be captured and enslaved." She shook her head, shutting me up.

"Shh, don't say that." She traced her cold fingers through my hair. Serena was the master of keeping a man waiting. We've stood by each other for the past hundred years or so.

"Serena please..." I silently plead, my voice cracking ever so slightly. I was tired of not having her around me all the time. When Harry told me I was denying what I felt for Serena I realised that I truly was. But even now was I afraid how big these emotions were. And I'm scared to let them out.

"Serena, I-" My breath hitched and the words suffocated me. I couldn't even say anything. The feeling inside me was so overwhelming, I didn't know what to do.

"What is it?" She stared up at me with worry in her eyes. But I just shook my head. The fear was taking over me again. It always did. The fear of feeling something. Ever since I'd lost my family I'd blocked everything out but now those feelings were tugging at my heart strings. I couldn't tell the woman before me how much I loved her.

The fear overtook me so I couldn't tell her all the things I've felt and dreamt of. How many times I'd pictured her in a white dress walking towards me. I wanted everything with her, a life, a family. Every time she's been with another man during these years together I've felt such jealousy and anger.

All those years ago we decided to keep the bond weak. I turned her almost immediately after our bond and we decided to just live with oneanother. Never in a million years had I expected to ever feel this way for another human being, well not human but still. Liam and Harry were so lucky. They'd already experienced love. Never in my years had I loved a woman. Only my family but I'd never been in love. And a woman like Serena isn't easy to love. The bond bothers her the most.