Chapter 3; A Frozen Identity

Chapter 3:

The drive back home was silent. Cole looked straight ahead not sparing a glance, and I could sense his anger. The silence was absolutely excruciating and painful. But my mind kept wandering to the moment of the party. The moment with Zander. And every time I think about it, I can’t help but feel sad. Upset.

Cole pulled into the pack house driveway. Seated, neither of us made an attempt to leave the car. Honestly, I know something is eating Cole up and he wants to let it go.

“what’s wrong?” I asked him. he turned to me hesitantly debating with himself whether to speak or not. “go ahead, tell me.”

He let out sigh and looked me dead in the eye. “why would you agree to something like that? Tell me Irene. Was a mate so important to you, that you would accept any kind?” he questioned.

I let out a sigh this time, “it’s not about finding a good mate Cole, it’s about finding the one that was made for me. sure he’ll be cold towards me at first, because honestly, he’s lost his first mate. But I know in time that he’ll accept me and he will love me, not as a second chance mate, but as his real mate.” I concluded. And I honestly believe so.

“Irene, sometimes I think you shouldn’t give in to your dreams, but either way I support your decision as your alpha as well as your best friend. But you have to promise me something” he said.

“what?” I questioned.

“don’t hope too much, don’t love too much and don’t trust too much.” He said making me promise.

“I promise, but why?” I asked him.

“trust me Rene, just please promise me?” he pleaded, staring into my eyes.

“okay I promise, I won’t hope too much, I won’t love too much and I won’t trust too much.” I said, pinkie promising him, making him smile.

“come on let’s get inside. Your mom must be waiting anxiously for you to come and tell her you found your mate.” Cole winked making me smile. But thinking of my mother made my smile falter.

“Cole, please don’t tell mom, about anything, about what my mat is like. I don’t want her to worry too much.” I said.

“your wish is my command.” He said in a British accent. Making me laugh.

We walked into the house, only to be welcomed with the warmth. I walked upstairs to my bedroom, only to see my mother on my bed fast asleep. I giggled to myself, going to lie down next to her. I looked at her peaceful face. I couldn’t help but let A sad smile took over my face. Tomorrow I would be leaving and this would be the last time I’ll see my beautiful and funny mothers face.

Slowly my eyes began to feel droopy and my body felt weak, and pretty soon I let sleep consume me, but my hopes still lingered in my mind, and I hope one day they’ll come true.

*****************

The next morning, I was shook awake. My eyes snapped open to see my mother seated up, looking directly at me, waiting for something.

“what is it?” I asked her.

“don’t what is it me!” she screeched in excitement. “tell me what happened!” she started getting jumpy. I smiled at her and hoped what I said would make her even more happy.

“I found my mate.” I said to her.

“ahhhhhhh” she screamed in happiness. And to be honest, I want her to be happy like this forever. “tell me more, what is he like? Is he in this pack? Did he accept you, or are you still going to marry Cole?” she asked abruptly.

“firstly no, he isn’t in this pack, he’s an alpha of another pack. Secondly he did accept me, and even if he didn’t, the last person I would ever marry is Cole. And there’s honestly not much to say about him, except that’s he is extremely good-looking and he has a fine personality.” I said to her. Making her get all giddy.

She stopped with her fantasies and turned to me. “my baby girl has grown up. your father would be so proud. Anyway let’s get up and get you ready, I am sure you are to leave today with your mate right.” She said smiling. But I could see the tinge of sadness in her eyes.

“oh mom, it’s okay. I’m just going away, but I promise to call you every day. Forever and always.” I said to her. She nodded, hugging me tightly. I hugged her back but tighter. I was going to miss her so much.

Hours went by and now I was done packing my things in suitcases and I was dressed and ready to go. Cole came up to inform me that my mate had arrived. I grabbed my bags and went downstairs only to see the man from yesterday and not my mate. I had felt a pang of pain. But what was I expecting? He is still angry about me.

I smiled and gave him my bags. “where is my son-in-law?” asked mom. I couldn’t tell her about him. I can’t allow her to feel sad before I leave.

“h-he’s not here mom. He is really busy and he promised to come see his beautiful mother in law soon.” I said. she smiled happily and bid me farewell. I walked to the SUV that was parked outside and sat inside of it. it looked and felt really comfortable.

The man from yesterday entered and sat in the driver’s seat, not uttering a word. We drove in complete silence, until he felt he needed to speak. “why didn’t you reject our alpha?” he asked me curiously.

“I don’t know.” I said honestly looking away. I wonder why myself. Why didn’t I?

“thank you for not doing it though. I feel you are the last person who can bring alpha zander back to his old self and not the iced man he is.” He said.

“I don’t know if I can do that, but I promise to try. What is alpha Zander like?” I asked him, not making any promises. But I am determined to make alpha zander my mate, and make him love me. because I will not allow my dreams and hopes to be shattered.

“there isn’t much to say about him, but all I can say is just be careful.” He said warningly. I nodded at him and looked out my window again. a frozen I identity I see.

*************

Hey guts! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Vote, comment and share.

Until the next update of  To Be The Second.

-Rama ✌