Chapter 40: The Truth Behind The Shatter

Chapter 41 is available on inkitt for those who want to read it! Just use the link in the comments down below!

Also I've started an Instagram page! Please do follow and support me!

Chapter 40:

Silence fell on us as Zander looked intently on the forest ground.

"Where do I begin? What do I start by saying? I don't even know." he said his voice holding anger, malice and mostly longing. He missed her, I could tell, but at the same time he hated her?

"Well let's start of easy, how did you guys meet?" I questioned.

A sad smile overcame his face as he let out a sigh.

"Like most mates, we met at a coming of age ceremony. She'd just turned 18, new to the world of mates, me having just taken over the alpha position for the Stone pack was looking for my mate. So naturally like the moon goddess had planned we fell in love, the mate bind being our support.

Being young, it wasn't my first time in love though, she was my second, I had been in love with a girl in the pack previously, but she had found her mate so like any sensible people, we broke it off. So when I'd met my mate I was ecstatic. I'd finally found the person I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with." a small smile played on his lips. But slowly it faltered as he opened to speak again.

"Little did I know the mate whom I loved so much had fallen in love with my beta, but then again... We don't choose who we come to love, we just look for ways to deny it and accept it. A betrayal never hurt as much as it did when I found out. And you know what else? She grew to hate me. I became the reason she couldn't be with the person she loved, but could you blame me? Even if I wanted to let her go, cause believe me, her happiness was the only thing that mattered to me- I still held on to her cause our mate bond was something we couldn't play with." a bitter laugh slipped through him.

"she tried to kill me. Me. Her mate. The one made for became a hindrance. But it didn't work after all, I am still an alpha. She'd started to lose her mind, Brandon being Brandon wasn't one to hurt people and sure he'd develop some sort of feelings for her but not enough to do anything."

By now my heart squeezed. A tear fell out of his eyes as the words he uttered next plunged me into an unfathomable sea of thoughts.

"She took away a life I'd been waiting so earnestly for, so I took her life." regret seethe into his now trembling body as he stared at the hard forest ground.

Tragic. That's what Zander's life was. An alpha who loved before had closed off his heart to never love again, and I was the one to suffer the consequences.

Instinctively, i pulled him into my embrace and held his now sobbing body. He was right... We don't choose who we fall in love with... We just learn to accept it. But the pain that comes with loving someone who dies not love you, is beyond comprehension and you start to doubt that love until it becomes uncertainty.

To some being a werewolf is a blessing, because there's someone there that's made just for you, but to some it's a burden, because you are forced to love someone who you never wanted to love and that relationship becomes unsturdy until it collapses.

We stayed in that position there for a while our warmth radiating off one another. Pulling back, he smiled slightly, slightly puffed eyes looking at me.

"Should we head back?" I asked.

He took my hand in his, a smile over his face, he nodded. As we stood up fixing ourselves and heading back.

I was uncertain about Zander, I was uncertain about our relationship. And most of all I was uncertain that my heart yearned for him like it did back then. I've been hurt once, I refuse to be hurt again. And to trust? That was far out of reach. But I was curious. Does he really want me? Does he want to earn my Favour? Does he... Love me?

******

Ayyyy

I'm sorry for the late update! But oof😣 been super busy! Also I started an Instagram page! You'll find me by searching: ramatawrites

Please do follow me and let's build a cool community! 😎

What did you think about this chapter? Let me know your thoughts! ❤️