Chapter 23; Not Allowing Her To Know... Part 1

Chapter 23:

Zanders POV:

I woke up in yet another cold sweat, chest heaving rapidly up and down, eyes tearing and body too hot.

The same dream over and over again for the last 4 years.

My hands shook and my heart trembled again. I closed my eyes taking in some deep breaths. My mate was gone, and It was my fault.

Standing up and walking out of my room, I made my way down the stairs towards the kitchen.

"nightmare again?" his voice rang in my ears.

"what do you think Brandon?" I said, bitterness in my voice.

He simply smiled and shook his head. He's always been by my side, and because of that I respected him. But because of him...

"don't go into such deep thoughts Zander, you're gonna age quicker." he joked.

I stared at him with a bemused look on my face. I had nothing to say to him. I simply drank my glass of water and walked away from him. I was definitely not in the right state of mind.

Walking up her sweet melodious voice rang in my ears as she spoke to our unborn child. But slowly her voice cracked and her sobs pierced my heart ever so painfully. Taking a step towards the room, I stopped immediately. I couldn't get close to her. I can't get close to her. I had already lost my heart once, And I was not prepared to lose it again. Even if it meant being rejected ever so easily.

Because I will not allow her to know...

Irene's POV:

A knock echoed through my room and I froze. My smile fell and my tears dried. I opened the door to see Brandon standing there, a smile on his face.

The only person to support and care for me was him. He was the brother I wish I had all my life.

"You feeling okay Irene?" he asked ever so gently.

"I'm perfectly fine thank you." I smiled forcefully.

I was lying. And I knew it. I was not fine. I just wanted to get the hell away from this pack, from Zander. I wanted to go home. I wanted my life to become normal yet again. All this heartache and betrayal was not for me.

The walls to my sanity were breaking and I feel as though I'm about to lose my mind. I don't deserve to be in pain. I don't deserve the treatment. I seriously, don't.

Zanders scent lingered outside the door as though he stood there for a while. Did he want to hear me suffer? That didn't surprise me anymore.

Nothing cruel he does surprises me anymore. He deserves nothing but my hate and I was going to hate him for a long time.

"Whats running through your pretty head?" Brandon questioned tilting his head.

"nothing, just tired." I replied slapping my fake smile on my face yet again. "I think I'm gonna sleep." I said.

"yeah, okay, sleep well Irene" he said before walking out and closing the door behind him.

I flopped on my back and stared at the ceiling. When was this pain, that rang my heart so, ever going to end and leave me with nothing but my bliss?

Don't trust too much

Don't hope too much

And...

Don't love too much

because that too much is going to hurt so much.

And indeed it did...

It hurt to the very bottom of my heart.

My eyes began feeling heavy as I pulled the warm blankets over my body and slowly but surely drowning into a sea of hurt and betrayal. I needed to get out of here, and fast.

***********

See I told you I'm gonna try and finish this book! Now can I get some comments? ;)

How was the chapter!? What is up with Zander? You all wanted to know what was going on with him, but it seems there's more to his story.

Don't forget to comment and vote for the story! ❤️

-Rama