Chapter 1 | The Deal Has Been Sealed

[6 years later]

"Come on, Len. It'll be fun," Tyler persuaded over the phone.

"Define fun," I said flatly.

"Have you ever not go to school?" I could picture him in my head, raising one of his eyebrows with his hand on his hip.

"I have, I just don't remember anything or care as soon as I walk out of it."

"Anyhow, you should come."

"I've been to his party for a thousand of times. Nothing is grand," I rolled my eyes. "Plus, I'm forbidden to go to any parties starting from now on. Not after what happened last three months."

"Last three months...," he trailed off, seemingly trying to rewind back the time to reminisce which horrible moment I was referring to. "You mean, the time when Max threw his 18th birthday party where he kissed all 18 girls while he was drunk as a skunk and you happened to be the last one then, you got back home with your mouth reeked of scotch?"

"You remember it all to well, my friend," I sighed.

"Oh man, how could I ever forget that one? It was the craziest party!" Tyler laughed. "But either way, you must come. I'll wait for you at the front door."

"Tyler, I've told you. I—"

"I promise, I'll buy you a box full of various chocolate bars and snacks," he swore.

"Tyler..."

"A large box," he emphasised.

And that made me think silently if that would ever be adequate for me. I mean, just one box wouldn't be enough for a month, let alone a year.

"Okay, fine. Two large boxes—"

"Deal," I eagerly agreed. It seemed like he understood my silence.

"Great. I'll wait for you at the front door of Max's house. Don't be late," Tyler told me before he hung up.

"Okay," I muttered under my breath.

Now, all I had to do was snuck out of this house unobtrusively for the sake of free large boxes that would be loaded with chocolates and snacks. Since Ben was busy, busting his ass off at his workplace probably until late hours, so, sneaking out through the front door wouldn't be a problem. Because I knew Oliver, his best friend all too well that he wouldn't get distracted when he was watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

Don't even ask me why did a maturely grown up 35 years old man watch a real life soap opera in which most of the teenagers were interested in.

I went straight to my closet to find something simple to wear that screamed "hey, I was bribed to come, so fuck off". I had no idea actually why I did something stupid just for chocolates.

I really hoped there'd be a lot of Snickers or Reese's.

Or both.

If Tyler didn't bribe me sweetly to come, I wouldn't have to jump off my bed and troubled myself looking through my walk-in closet that could possibly drag me into another world like Narnia and met a liable lion that would spare my life.

Finally, I decided to wear something that fitted my wants; just a white v-neck T-shirt and black ripped jeans.

I let my wavy ash brown hair with blue sapphire dip-dye untied then I slipped my feet into my all-time favourite shoes to wear, my black Vans sneakers.

Before I left my room quietly, I grabbed my car key and my phone then texted Tyler, letting him know that I'd be there in a few minutes. Slowly, I closed the door behind me and crept downstairs, hardly making any noise.

Oliver was in the living room as usual with a bowl of popcorns in his arms, lounging in front of the TV like a couch potato who never had a plan for his future ahead.

He was always like that.

The moment I walked past the living room, I heard the sound of someone clearing throat which made me freeze and stop pacing.

"Where do you think you're sneaking out to at this hours, snake?" Oliver said as he turned his head around.

I sighed and straightened my pose to face him as my eyes rolled.

"I'm heading to Max's party, would you mind?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Ben told me...," he stood up with a grunt and shuffled towards me. "...not to let you out of this house at night. Especially to Max's."

"I'd promised Tyler, I'll be there. So, since I'm a lady of my word, I have to go."

"Remember when you went to Max's party last three months?" Oliver folded his arm. "Then you came back with strong scent of alcoho—"

"Yeah, yeah. No one seems to forget that," I put in. "It's not going to happen again, okay? Trust me. The lightning never strikes twice in the same place."

"But what if?" He doubted. "You wouldn't want the Hulk to destroy this house again, would you?"

"Ben will not find out about this, if you cooperate with me," a grin crept upon my lips. "How's that sound?"

"So, you want cooperation, huh?" Oliver smirked.

"It's just simple. Just tell him I was already in bed if he calls you and asks about me, then call me when he says he's on his way to go back home, so I just have to drive as fast as I can to get back here and pretend that I'm asleep in my room. See? As easy as pie."

"Okay," he sighed. "I'm helping you out with this and you owe me."

"Owe you what?" I groaned in frustration.

"Well...some help with something," the man stammered.

"Yeah, whatever. So, can I go now?" My arms folded.

He nodded.

And just with one nod, I bolted out of the house to get to my car in the garage, then fired up the ignition before I drove to Max's house which was just a couple of blocks away.

After ten minutes worth of sitting in front of a steering wheel, I pulled over to the side of the road a few distance away from Max's house, the noisiest house around the neighbourhood. I got out of my car and thanks a lot to the autumn season for welcoming me with its cold breeze.

I gazed at the house with colourful party lights, people cut a rug in it, blaring music and drunkards passed out in the lawn. I didn't know if this was ever a good decision to make.

But I went for it anyway.

For the sake of chocolate bars.