Chapter 23 | The Darkest Parts of The Pasts

"I'll destroy your life, Lennox. Once and for all."

I still remembered those words, loud and clear like the sound of the thunder rumbling in the dark sky hovering above me. They had never failed to send shivers down my spine.

"Lennox?" I could see behind Cece's smile, she was actually disenchanted when she saw Max was holding my hand, yet she hid it. "You're Max's new girlfriend?"

"Yep," I answered with a little hesitation.

"Wow," she chuckled awkwardly. "I don't know what to say."

"Just say our tops look ridiculous," I said with my eyes rolled but when Max tightened his grip on my hand, I quickly added. "I mean, ridiculously...adorable."

Cece giggled uncomfortably and from the corner of my eyes, I saw her boyfriend was smirking at me.

"So, where's your mom? And your sister?" I queried as I realised the absence of her family members.

"Oh, they'll be here by tomorrow. Mom told us to come here first," she replied.

Max remained silent, staring at Cece and it was obvious that she was avoiding his eye contact. Which was just the same for me and her new boyfriend. His eyes were piercing into my skin and I tried my best not to make an eye contact with that devil.

"Hi...Max," the Spanish girl in front of me had a hard time to greet her ex. "Good to see you again."

"Likewise," he uttered flatly.

She gulped before she faked her smile and shut her mouth.

"Babe," her boyfriend finally whispered, reminding her he needed an introduction—which it wasn't really necessary for me.

"Oh, sorry, cariño (darling)," Cece snapped her fingers. "Guys, this is Ned Abner. And babe, this is Lennox and Max."

"Nice to meet you, Max," Ned shook his hand with Max casually and when he turned his head to me, he put on his demonic smirk that even a devil itself would look away. "And it has been a long time, hasn't it, Lennox?"

Both Max and Cece were confused after hearing what he just said and a question popped inside their heads. I knew they were wondering when did we meet each other.

"Lennox and I were friends back in elementary school," Ned lied and that was when my eyes met his lividly. "Isn't that right, Lennox?"

It seemed like he hadn't changed a bit. Always a fucking liar. I couldn't fight all of his lies because they were just way far stronger than my long explanation of the truth and he was really good at manipulating people to get to his side. I was the only human in this universe got to see the beast behind that sweet facade of his.

"Yeah, we were friends," I forced myself to play along with him.

I just had to. Neither Cece and Max nor anyone around me really knew what I'd been through in the past and I would like to keep it that way.

"What a coincidence," Cece said, wrapping her arms around his waist.

And Max tightened his grip once again in disgruntlement which was seriously hurt. My hand reddened and I had to stop him from showing discreetly to me how much pain he had to bear to watch Cece fell deeply in love with her new boyfriend whom was the ultimate fucker I'd ever known—and Luke came in second.

So, I gripped his hand back and looked at him when he turned his head to face me. I shook my head, telling him telepathically not to be so sad about this. She just wanted to win this game and make him came begging to her. That was all she wanted to have. The satisfaction of seeing her ex hurt.