Chapter 38 | The Weird Thing He Loves

When Luke parked his bike and turned off its ignition in the driveway in front of his fancy modern yet simple house, I put my hands on his shoulders as I got off his bike with my eyes surveying the surrounding, taking eighteen steps away from the bike and almost reaching the sidewalk. The neighbourhood around here seemed tranquil as if there was no one lived here anymore and I didn't know why but I felt like I'd been in this place before. But I couldn't remember when.

The wind blowing inexorably, sending shivers down my spine and my arms immediately hugged myself. I faced myself to the side and saw a large house on my left side that appeared to be empty and unowned since there was a sign at a front yard of that house, indicating that it was for sale. Luke's house was apparently situated in the middle of a creepy neighbourhood. When I turned back around, I caught Luke who was now perching on the seat of his bike with his eyes on me, seemingly he'd been gazing at me for the whole time without my notice.

"Is there any other human beings living around here other than you?" I asked.

"Well, there is a few of them around here," he sauntered towards me with his hands in his pockets. "But they prefer it to be quiet."

"Don't you think it's a little creepy?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I've been living here all by myself for almost four years now," Luke shrugged one shoulder. "I think it's fine."

"You've lived here all alone?" My brows furrowed. "Where's your mom?"

"You don't remember this place?" One of his eyebrows lifted.

"Have I ever been in this place before?" The confusion invaded my brain.

He blinked for a couple of times. "Five years ago, you came here. I still remember that. How come you don't?"

"Five...years ago?" I frowned, looking away from his eyes as I tried to flash back to the moment when I was in 8th grade.

When did I come here—

Oh, wait!

My brain just got hit by a truck loaded with memories five years before and I now remembered when did I come here.

I came here once, riding my bicycle to give Luke his homework sheet since he wasn't able to come to the school at that day. Initially, Tyler was the one who was supposed to be in charge of that but he gave that task to me because he had a new video game to play that his dad just bought.

How cruel was he.

Just as I was about to reach his house, there was a woman lying unconsciously in the middle of the road with a shattered bottle of whiskey underneath her hand. My eyes enlarged in astonishment and I got off my bicycle then rushed toward her in panic. I didn't know what to do at first, I had no medical skills. But when my eyes found her cellphone slipped out of her pocket, quickly I grabbed it and dialled the emergency phone number.

She was totally knocked out, even after I shook her body for countless times, trying to wake her up. I had to drag her out of the road and placed her body on the sidewalk in front of the house...

...I was now standing in front of.

The reality slapped me real hard as soon as I remembered that moment completely. I jerked my head around to examine the house before my green orbs met Luke's grey eyes.

"So, that woman was...," I trailed off.

Luke gulped, taking a few seconds to continue my sentence with a nod, "Yes, she's my mom."

I didn't expect to see that coming.

So, that means, five years ago, I helped his mom?

"You saved my mom, cheesecake," he smiled.