Chapter 5 | No Offense

"So, you're saying that he got into a jail because someone accused him for abusing a girl?" I asked him again, even though he just explained the whole thing quite clearly to me but I was just trying to ease my curiosity.

"That's what I just said, Lennox," Oliver groaned in exasperation. "Ben and I handled that case and turned out the girl was lying. Which is why Ben told you not to befriend with Max and Tyler." 

"Max and Tyler would never do that," I snorted in disbelief.

"You'll never know," the man in the driver seat shrugged.

After spending 25 minutes riding shotgun in Oliver's car, we'd finally arrived and I got out of it as soon as he pulled over to the side of the road to park it.

We both went into the store ahead of us and the jazz music filled the whole building just right at the time we walked into it. An old man came to us in his blue shirt and black waistcoat, politely greeting and welcoming the both of us to his very classy, opulent store.

"May I help you, young man?" The owner of the store asked.

I could see that Oliver was flattered after being called 'young' which made my eyes roll.

"I need a suit that shows that I'm a best man," Oliver replied.

"I have a lot of suits for that," the old man smiled. "Follow me."

Honestly, I'd been to a store like this before for a million times just because of Oliver. He had always brought me along with him for his man-shopping adventure. Even shopping for his personal needs and toiletries. Perhaps, Ben was just too frustrating to be dragged around for shopping, which was why Oliver would rather have me strolling around the city with him than Ben.

I sat on the one of the sofas that was placed in front of a circular platform with a full length mirror ahead of it. While waiting for Oliver to try out some of the suits he'd chose, I fished my phone out of a pocket of my denim shorts and saw Tyler flooding my notification column with unread text messages, more than twelve missed calls and voice mails from last night.

Or probably this early morning.

Most of them were just screaming:

Hey, where r u?
Waiting for u at the front door.
Remember our deal?
I'm waiting.
Where hv u been?
Max told me he saw you.
I looked for u everywhere.
I got two large boxes with me now.
Dennis told me something about the kiss.
Probably, he's still drunk.

And he kept asking my whereabouts for like nine times through voicemails.

But, frankly I was still mad at the fact that he told me to come then he decided not to show up so that he could have fun with a girl. Somehow, I felt used unreasonably.

It was entirely his fault.

"So, what do you think?" Oliver finally came out of the fitting room, drew open the curtain and revealed himself in a classy old-fashioned tailcoat...with a long tail.

I glanced at him from my phone screen. "You look like a dumb magician who just lost his hat and gloves."

"She's always like that," Ben's best friend whispered to the owner, probably because the owner gave him 'the look'—you know, the look that a mother usually gave to her husband when their daughter was rude since I just mocked his well-tailored suit.

Then, Oliver got himself back into the fitting room again and changed into another suit.

I sent Tyler a text message: the deal is still on, promise-breaker. I came to the party last night. I should be the one asking you where have you been. Either way, I want those boxes on the front door of my house by 12pm.