Chapter 21 | Ain't My Fault

Luke and I sat two tables away from Max, watching him having a conversation with every girl on the list in my hand. They were given three minutes to attract Max's interest but if he gave us the unobtrusive signals of disapproval such as doing an action of cutting his neck with his hand discreetly or shaking his head slightly, that means that girl was out of the list.

We had to move the venue for this absurd speed dating, in search of a fake girlfriend, to a nearby restaurant because we needed to use the first floor since we didn't want the girls to complain for waiting outside for hours.

"This is the eighth girl," I said when another blonde girl was climbing up a stairway then walked towards Max whom was already tired of this activity.

"Why don't we just hire an actress to be his fake girlfriend?" Luke yawned as he leant back in his seat, getting weary after running around, gathering the girls for Max and sitting beside me for twenty-one minutes straight while keeping an eye for Max's signal.

"I don't think we have time to find one," I replied flatly.

"How many girls left?" He asked, looking at the list over my shoulder.

"Seven," I uttered.

"This is taking a lot of time," Luke threw his head back and looked up at the ceiling in frustration.

"You're the one who brought a lot of girls here," I crossed out the name of the blonde girl who just came up since I saw Max shaking his head while secretly glancing at me.

"Oh, so this is my fault now?" The bad boy next to me pulled his body up and looked at me. "Who came up with 'speed dating' idea in the first place?"

"So, this is my fault?" I puffed in irritation, staring dagger at him in the eyes.

"Obviously," he smirked. "And you even called me useless."

"That's because you are," I retorted.

"I'm very useful beyond your expectations, cheesecake," Luke lifted his eyebrow.

"How can you be so useful when you're already useless?" I smirked cynically.

He leant towards me abruptly, "Do you want me to kiss you again?"

I leant forward as well, "Do you want me to slap you again?"

Suddenly Luke wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer and I swiftly put my hand on his lips. Eventually, we both fell off our chairs sideways onto the floor, grunting in pain.

Max suddenly cleared his throat loudly which had drawn both of our attentions and made us to hoist ourselves up and face our friend whom was currently looking at us in embarrassment since the girl he was talking with were staring at us too.

"He started it!"

"She started it!"

Luke and I blamed each other concurrently before our fiery eyes met.

"This is your fault," I whispered.

"No, this is all your fault," he did the same.

The girl turned back to the front and beamed at Max, "Friends of yours?"

"Yep," Max pulled out his smile awkwardly, feeling ashamed. "Very silly friends."