Chapter 72 | Please, Come Back To Me

Luke's POV

We both rushed toward the reception desk, asking the nurse standing behind it about Lennox. We were told that she was currently going through a surgery and that it would take hours of waiting, so she suggested us to sit on a row of three chairs that were connected to each other sideways, nearby the surgery room Lennox was in.

Before we walked away from the reception desk, Lennox's foster mom, Sara, came running toward her husband and behind her was Oliver. She was snivelling, throwing her arms around her husband. He whispered some comforting words to her after kissing her hair, hugging her in his arms tightly.

Oliver came to me and patted me in the back, asking me if I was okay. I simply shook my head. I would never be okay until I saw Lennox with my own eyes, standing in front of me with a smile across her lips, all healthy and well, mentally and physically.

Then, all of us went to sit and wait for one of the doctors to come out of the surgery room to give us an update. I let Lennox's family take a load off their feet while I just stood beside the chairs, staring at my shoes with my back rested against the wall behind me and my arms folded crosswise.

I couldn't get rid of the image of Lennox, crying in pain. It hurt me, honestly. She was just having fun with me hours ago and now, she was in a surgery room after getting shot. I took out my wallet from the pocket on my jeans and gazed at the Polaroid picture that I kept inside here, the one that we'd taken together back at my house, the one that I claimed my favourite, the one where we grinned at each other with our noses touched.

I smiled weakly to see her looking so happy in this picture. She was so beautiful despite all the scars on her. And what made me love her a lot was that smile of hers that she rarely showed it to others. She laughed and smiled sincerely only toward someone she wanted to do as such. She didn't usually show it to stranger. She let people see her as someone listless, grumpy and flat. But there was actually more of her than just a sullen face.

And that was what made her so special to me.

My phone suddenly vibrated inside my pocket, interrupting my musing. When I pulled it out, I found Max's name being displayed in my phone screen. Instantly, I answered his phone call and let him talk first.

"Hey, Luke. Do you want me to sleep in your house or what? You've been out for hours now. It's almost eleven," Max complained.

"You can sleep there," my voice was hoarse and weak.

"Are you okay?" He seemed to notice the sound of my voice. "Where the heck are you?"

"I'm in the hospital."

"And why in the world are you in there? You don't usually go to the hospital, as far as I'm concerned," Max snorted.

I sighed, feeling unsure whether I should tell him this or not. I didn't know how would he going to take in this tragic news. I rubbed my temples and closed my eyes for a couple of seconds before I told him what really happened since I got no other choice other than letting him know the truth.

"Lennox is in a surgery room right now. She just got shot," I said.

Silence. That was all I heard for a few seconds from him. I heard no other sounds from the other side of the line. Just pure silence.

"You're kidding, right?" Max chuckled a little, believing that this was a joke. "Yeah, you're totally joking. Damn, Luke. You're good at this."