Chapter 11 | Sudden Changes

When Terry heard the loud noise we created that practically sounded like a group of Vikings fighting against each other, he made us clean the whole kitchen in our soaking attires while he watched us lividly with his arms folded and tapping his shoe on the floor.

Eventually, we got our jobs done and the cafeteria looked pretty clean. But it would get back to how it usually was. Basically, this cafeteria was like a mud—its existence was naturally dirty and the word 'clean' would never last long in there.

Terry finally let us go and realisation hit me a little late to become aware of that it was already night. I grabbed my backpack next to an exit door of the cafeteria to check up on my phone to see if Ben had given me thousands of missed calls or text messages. Unfortunately, my phone was dead.

"Fuck," I muttered, knowing I would have to walk back home in this wet shirt and jeans with wind blowing inexorably.

Luke, who seemed to witness my desperation of needing to get back home without catching a cold, suddenly offered me a ride.

"Need a ride, cheesecake?" He proffered as he grabbed his leather jacket.

"Do you have your phone with you?" I asked, ignoring the opportunity of going home.

"I don't usually bring my phone to wherever I go," Luke confessed.

"Are you kidding me?" I gaped in disbelief. Who would believe a guy like him didn't bring his own phone wherever he went to? How did he live like that? Not having your phone around you was like walking around naked in public.

"I have my own reasons to do so," he told me. "So, are you down for it?"

"Fine, it seems like I have no choice," I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Okay," Luke put up a Cheshire Cat's smile on his lips.

As if he was up to something.

I followed him, walking out of the school and receiving the cold night wind without having to know what time was it now. I'd never thought we spent so much time in the cafeteria and not realising how fast the time had passed by.

When we were in the parking lot I didn't see any cars left around here and I only saw a black Kawasaki motorcycle sitting there all alone. Now I knew what was that smile for. I was expecting a car but it turned out to be a different type of transportation.

"Seriously?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Do you even have a car to ride on?" He queried nonchalantly, somehow mocking me for being so picky.

"Well, this is a very great choice," I said sarcastically. "Let's get home on this 2009 Kawasaki ER-6N and catch a cold together."

"So, you know about motorcycle?" Luke arched his eyebrows in surprise as if my knowledge regarding Kawasaki's bike was something necessary to be amazed about.

"My dad was—" I was about to tell him something deeply personal but when I realised that he was the person I didn't have any of my faith on, I halted and changed my answer. "I mean, I looked it up on Google."

There was a minute of silence and the sound of dried leaves rustled in the wind was the only audible sound right now. For me, it was slightly awkward somehow since I didn't usually bring up the past to the present but when I looked at Luke, he didn't show any feelings upon his expression. He was frowning and looking at me, like he was looking deep behind my facade for an answer.

"So," I quickly brushed off the awkward silence. "Are we just going to stay here or what?"

As a response to my question, he automatically handed me one of his helmets then he straddled on his motorcycle whilst I was struggling wearing this stupid helmet before I joined him as he fired up the ignition.