Chapter 65 | Making Amends

Max and I were lying on the hospital bed upside down as I filled him in with everything that happened lately in school. Well, mainly, just the part where Luke and I fought. Since I'd got no one left to tell about that, so I went to him.

I couldn't rave about this to Sara. She wouldn't stop squealing whenever I mentioned Luke's name. Let alone, Ben. Man, that would be a suicide mission if I went to talk about this to him. And Oliver wouldn't care anything about it. Even if he was, he would definitely defend Luke because he had grown fond of him.

Tyler was still nowhere to be found. I couldn't reach him. I was starting to wonder where the hell was that guy. Even Max hadn't seen him at all.

"I know that I was wrong but...I just couldn't help it, you know?" I looked up at the plain white ceiling.

"I've told you, curiosity—"

"Killed the cat. I know that," I cut him off and rolled my eyes, knowing he would say that.

"You know," Max grunted as he pulled himself up to sit on the bed then he cast his eyes down at me. "I've been hearing the same story all day from different perspectives."

My brows knitted in confusion as I sat myself up as well, "Wait. Do you mean Luke was here?"

"Yeah. He skipped all his classes after lunch," my friend shrugged.

Now, I knew where he went to when he drove out of the school parking lot. I thought he would be at the soccer field he used to go to with his mom. I never expected that he went here for a talk with Max.

"You guys really make me feel like a marriage counsellor," Max chuckled.

"What did he say to you?" Curiosity within me was now awakened.

He hummed for a second before he replied, "Nothing much. He just told me how Ronald manipulated you and that you've lost your trust in him which hurt him pretty bad."

In some way, I felt bad. Really bad. I shouldn't have let myself believed in Ronald so easily. He was good at making up stories. Just like Ned. They both surely had something in common.

"I still trust him, though," I muttered, playing with the zipper at the end of my jacket.

"Seriously, Lennox. You shouldn't have dug up his past like that," Max shook his head. "Everyone has a reason to keep their secrets. And you certainly don't have the right to read their diaries. You get what I mean?"

"I know. I shouldn't have let my curiosity runs wild," I groaned. "Now, I don't know how to get him back."

He placed his arm around my shoulders, "Just give him some times. He needs a space."

Well, some times can be a pretty long time. Especially when he was this mad. I knew that my apology wouldn't be enough. A 'sorry' wouldn't cool him down. I didn't know how to make it up for him. Frankly, I'd never tried to make someone feel happy. I'd never done such things before. And I didn't know how. It was always them making me happy. I just realised that.

Damn, he made me realise how I'd never worked in the happy factory.

Both Max and I just kept conversing for hours, catching up where we had left. We talked about Cece, mostly. He showed me a bouquet of yellow roses that came along with a handwritten card that he received early this morning when he was still asleep. It certainly came from Cece. From afar, I could already see her handwriting inside of the card that Max refused to reveal any of the content to me. He said that this would be a good practice for me to tame my curiosity and learn to respect other people's privacy.