Chapter 8 | Burnt Memories

"Where's Tyler?" Max asked.

"In my phone," I replied whilst I was texting with Tyler.

Me : hey, drag queen. Where the hell r u? I thought we both agree to help Max.

Tyler : sorry. I can't make it. My mind is a total mess right now, thinking about Carrie. And seriously? Drag queen? Is that what you think of me?

I rolled my eyes and a sigh of exasperation slipped out of my mouth.

"He can't come. Carrie is in his head," I told Max.

"Are we just going to do it without Tyler?" Max raised an eyebrow.  

"The world will ends if we wait for him to come," I shrugged nonchalantly. "So, let's get to work."

Max showed me a collection of his memories in a box that he'd made with Cece when they were greatly in love. I saw thousands of Polaroid pictures of them both, cinema tickets, a bouquet of unwatered wilt carnation, a couple tee they'd bought together, Adidas sneakers that Cece gave and untouched jar of candies.

I didn't know that he was the kind of a guy who treasured something, even if it was something petty, as long as he could cherish it forever. I guess, this was one of the reasons that held him back from moving on.

"Let's go to your backyard," I said, taking hold of the box from his hands.

"Ooookay," he acquiesced.

Then, I immediately turned the box upside down, spilling out all the contents on a bonfire site in the mid of his backyard as soon as we were outside of his house.

"What the fuck, Len?!" Max freaked out, snatching the box from me and began to pick all his things up. "This is not for disposal."

"It is when you want to move on," I folded my arms. "Now, back off because you and I had sealed an agreement that you desperately need my help with this situation."

"I do need your help but this isn't helping," he looked daggers at me.

"Trust me, Romeo. It'll be worth it," my voice laced with confidence.

"You sound pretty confident," my friend stopped putting back his things into the box.

"Because I am."

Max sat in front of the bonfire site for a minute, staring at the pieces of memories left. This might be a good start for him, deleting the memories he kept physically and then automatically and hopefully he would forget every single memory of him and Cece mentally.

"So, you're ready?" I asked.

"Can I keep the sneakers, please?" He grinned at me sweetly, trying to make me fell for it.

"No," I uttered in my deadpan tone then I went to his garage to grab something he might not like to see.

"Harsh," Max muttered before he put all of those things in box back on the bonfire site.

"Are you really ready, Max?" I asked the same question again as soon as I got back from the garage, hiding his perfect gift for moving on behind me.

"As ready as you are," he sighed.

"Okay," I nodded. "Now, step back."

Max reluctantly did as what I told him to before I took out a jerry can that I hid behind me and poured the gasoline all over his things. I just made Max's eyes popped out the moment he saw my action. He looked at me like I just murdered his pet.