Chapter 49 | Tricked To Get Defeated

It was almost six and I was still lying upside down on the couch in the living room with my phone in my hands, engrossed in a conversation with Tyler while Oliver was having many irons in the fire, turning the kitchen into a hot mess with dishes heaping in the sink and on the countertop, he was sweating and the ketchup stained the apron he was wearing.

He was undeniably egomaniacal. I was trying to lend him a hand since he was making a four-course meal for two but he persisted to do everything all by himself because he claimed that the dinner would be very special if he cooked the meals with his own hands and his hands alone and that he could brag about him setting everything up with his own effort. 

Now, look at the wreckage he created in the kitchen. He should be regretting for refusing my aid by now. I was certainly not going to offer him my assistance again since he selfishly rejected it. I should just continue texting with Tyler.

Tyler : that's odd. Why would she want to meet u instead of Max?

Me : that's what I thought. I guess, this is my chance to slap her skull to get her sanity back for dating a jackass.

Tyler : ooh! Girl's fight. Can I come with you? Please?

Me : no.

Tyler : come on! It'll be fun to have me there.

Me : this is a matter between me and her. Period. Bye.

"Ten minutes?" I heard Oliver talking on the phone in the kitchen, nervously chuckling. "No, no. It's fine, actually...Yeah, can't wait."

As soon as he hung up his phone, he cursed vociferously then stormed into the living room furiously as if I had done something wrong when all I did throughout the hours of his frustration in the kitchen was lying down and did nothing. His shirt was soaking in sweats, his hair was not as neat as it was this morning and he literally smelled like crap. 

"Why the hell are you still here?" Oliver glowered at me.

"I'm just—"

"It's almost half past six. Shouldn't you be out of here already?" He pulled me up to make me sit on the couch properly as he dusted off the cushions. "I don't have time to deal with you, brat. Diane will be here in ten freaking minutes and I'm still figuring out what to serve her for dessert!"

"Just feed her some ice cream," I stood up.

"That is so not fancy," he shook his head while grabbing my arm and marched me to the front door. "Now, get your ass out of here. I need to get my shit together."

"Are you kicking me out?" My eyebrows raised and a smirk displayed on my lips to make him even more stressful. "I don't think Ben would like that."

"To hell with Ben!" Were his last words before he slammed shut the door. He was definitely cranky with the works he needed to get them done in just ten minutes.

He should've accepted my offer in the first place.

*      *      *      *      *      *

It was only half an hour drive to reach downtown and I pulled in and parked my car when I reached the bar that Cece mentioned. I didn't have any second thoughts that would restrain me from getting out of the car and entering the bar, despite I was seventeen. Ben would surely kill me if he found that I went in here, but hey, Ben wasn't here. And I didn't come to a place like this to have fun, I was here for the 'talk' that Cece wanted to have.