Chapter 39: Ready?

My fingers lightly grazed the table. Robin's bed was well-made and the room was clean. There was no trace of disarranged things. Everything has its order and everything has its place. I sat down the table with the monitor blinking. I moved the mouse a bit and the screen lit up. There was no background pictures, just plain black. I saw files named in titans, criminals, information and confidential. In the corner of the bottom right there was a folder named "Rob" I moved the little arrow in the screen and opened the folder. Inside was a number of videos recorded on different dates. i opened the oldest one.

The screen went dark for a bit and opened a room, Robin's room to be precise. It was same as always only that the camera was moving and Robin's face was shown then it went black again and the next scene was the night sky. I guessed Robin moved to the top.

"Look," he pointed at the stars and a shooting one passed by. I heard him chuckle and sigh.

"Sometimes...I think you're just here Star. Sometimes, I pretend that you're just a few floors away or rooms distance from me not light years. Sometimes, I like to picture you and me happy and content." i heard him sigh again and his hand was holding out like he was trying to grasp something in the sky. 

"But its not." he said sadly. 

"I'm sorry I had to give you up. I'm--I'm just, a hero nothing special. if a hero like me dies someone can just take over after a couple of years. But heroes come and go. If one dies, another can just take over and repeat everything all over again. You Starfire, is a princess of a planet. You give orders and rule over your people and give out the best to make your people satisfied and happy. I am nothing special." I wanted to counter, yell and say no you are more than that, you taught me more that any tutor my planet can provide. I have learned more that what I expected when I landed on your planet. 

"I just hope wherever you are Starfire you're happy." Then he grabbed the camera and smiled before the screen went black.

I opened a another video a few months after the first video and the first thing I see Is Robin's face in his room facing the monitor. He was formal and stiff almost as if he's recording this for a reason. 

"Blackfire's back," that was what he said first and looked away. 

"Why is she here?" He seem genuinely confused and I recalled the time when Trigon was still using my body as a possession and controlling everyone while I began to weaken because of his confines. 

"She said she's...changed," he was unsure whether to believe her or not. 

"I'd watch her carefully and try to see if she really has changed." then he looked into the window for a second and in the faintest whisper I heard him say.

"I miss you Star." and the video went black.

I watched a bunch of videos some were videos back when i was still here others were videos of things robin liked to see. I was looking at anything, anything that could help me save him. Anything at all. I opened all the videos but there was none that helped. 

I clenched my fists. It can't be that Robin planned that he--he--no, I refused to believe that. I refuse to acknowledge that fact. 

I paced back and forth in his room when  another blinking light caught my eye. It was in Robin's closet, where he keeps his clothes. I saw it was red and blinking. I moved slowly and opened the door and saw a video camera.

I examined it and I recalled once that Robin showed me how to open this thing. There was a tiny screen at the side that I could watch the recording. There was only one file, one video and I pressed a button to open the video. The first thing I see was Robin. He wasn't at his normal state his hair was a bit rugged. He looked weary like it was almost time before he could collapse. 

"Star," his voice was hoarse, he looked so tired.

"I knew it was him." My eyes shot wide. He knew it was Trigon controlling me?

"I did some research and at first I had doubts that maybe it wan't him because if it was it might be hard to defeat him. He has been quiet for a while, planning and gathering power. Waiting for the right opportunity." He ran his fingers through his hair making it more messier.

"I'm sure of something though." 

"He wants to find a way to end my life" He said he looked so sad but yet I caould see determination in his eyes.

"I'm going to save you Star, even if it has to sacrifice my...life." He smiled a bit. He looked so tired but then I saw adoration in his eyes. 

"Just do something for me Star," Anything

"Don't save me." and the screen went blank.