Chapter 5: Matchmaking

(May's POV):

I found myself walking by the beach, enjoying the summer breeze as I looked at the beautiful setting sun. I sighed and kicked the sand with my left foot, accidentally kicking a stone. I winced in pain and grabbed my foot, trying to massage my aching foot.

"You okay?" I turned at my right and smiled at Sora who was sitting by the seawater, allowing the water to wet her feet. I nodded and skipped happily toward her to join her, ignoring the pain on my toes. I sat down beside her and we both watched the sunset.

"So," Sora tried starting a conversation. "How are you and Drew?" She asked with a smirk. My face reddened at the mention of his name.

"N - nothing!" I answered with a small blush rising up my cheeks. I heard her sigh and she rested her chin on her hands, staring at the distance with a blank expression.

"You know," She began. "You are the only girl Drew had, you know, that look on you." She said, her lips curving up into a small smile at her own words. I grew confused. "You know? When a man has his eyes on a certain girl?" She said as if it's the most obvious thing in the world, but I still don't know.

"What?" I asked. She fell down anime style.

"Arceus, why do you have to be so damn dense and oblivious?" She muttered under her breath. Sorry for being innocent! I mentally rolle my eyes. "But, do you like Sir Drew?" She questioned.

I fell back when she finished her sentence. What. The. Heck?!

Does she mean that feeling?! Should I tell her? Well. . . Um. . . She is my childhood best friend. I can trust her with all my secrets. Right? I slowly nodded at her, hoping she won't make fun of me.

"I knew it." She smiled softly and stood up. I noticed she was holding a bottle in her hands. Inside is a roll of parchment. It was tightly sealed inside and the bottle seemed a bit old.

"What's that?" I questioned as I stood up, peering at it. Her eyes watered.

"This is an old tradition. You take a bottle and a piece of parchment. You. . ." She said slowly, as if she's choking. I saw a tear roll down her cheek, then another. She tried to smile as she tried to explain. "You write a wish or a message for someone and then throw it at the water." And with that, she threw the bottle. It landed on the water and gently floated away from us.

"What happens next?" I asked, watching it float away.

"You just watch it disappear with the message." She answered as more tears fell down. I grew worried and put a hand on her left shoulder. She always looks strong, but I never knew she would look like this. She changed during the past eight years.

"Sora, what did you wrote in the parchment?" I questioned. I wanted to know so I could maybe help her. She's my lost best friend, and now I'm going to catch up those years of separation.

Sora began to sob. "It's a message for my family. It's like a diary. I tell them everything that I have gone through. And then, I told them about you and Drew." Again, she smiled softly and wiped her tears. I heard her family died in a carriage accident. At first, I thought Sora was also dead, but now I saw that she's alive. She used to be an Eastern, but now she's with the Westerns. I couldn't handle the grief of losing my best friend back then, but now, I. . . I can't describe just how happy I am.

'But is she really happy with her life?' I asked myself. I already heard some tales about her, the Young Dragoness. They said she died protecting the kingdom, but was revived by the Legendaries. I heard she has suffered through a lot just for the sake of her kingdom, for her friends, and that she's a brave warrior. Then she almost died a few times protecting the kingdom, protecting Drew. I wouldn't be brave enough to do those.