➸ THIRTY NINE

i've rewritten this whole chapter like five times and this probably isn't the best but here ya go anyways (:

Vote - Comment - Share (If you wanna but I'd appreciate it if you did. But you don't have to. But please do.)

—————

Thalia Lively

I closed the front door with a sigh as I locked the crisp air outside. I looked over at the coat rack and saw Nonna's jacket hung up, which meant she was home. I don't know what possessed me to all of a sudden want to open myself up to the past, but I didn't want to back down now. I needed to know, the loss of memory was killing me and I wouldn't let it ruin my life any longer. It's already taken away a year and half of my life as I shut the world out, and there was no guarantee I'd welcome the world back, but at least now I'd know why I locked myself away in the first place.

I walked through the house, looking around but I couldn't see any sign of Nonna; I couldn't hear any sign of movement either. After a couple minutes of searching, I found out I was the only one here which didn't make sense because Nonna's jacket was still here. I made my way towards her room, opening the door slightly while peaking in. She really wasn't here.

I walked into her room, I guess looking for a sign of where she could've gone. She went for a walk but I'm sure she should be back by now. Her room was clean— not like I expected anything else, Nonna is a bit of a clean freak but that's one of her good qualities I suppose. As I was about to take out my phone to call Jenna, Riley's mom, to ask her if Nonna went over there my eyes trailed her room one last time and stopped at her night stand. The top drawer was slightly open and a piece of paper was sticking out, not really thinking much about it I walked over to push the paper back in but only after I read it.

Dear Heidi Dawson,

We would like to inform you more about Aidan Lively's condition—

My heart skipped a beat and my fingers started trembling; the paper shaking in my hands. Tears formed at the brim of my eyelids within seconds; just from reading his name.

— he hasn't made any progress since the last time we've contacted you, he is still very unresponsive and unconscious. His body however is responding to the medication we've given him to protect him from pain that might follow the healing process. His brain although is still frozen in a state of no progress. The accident trauma that entered him into a coma is still taking a toll on his wakening, and we aren't sure of when, or if he is going to wake up. We invite you down to the Greystone Hospital in order to discuss future actions regarding Aidan Lively.

Dr. Rollins
Greystone Hospital

I crumbled down onto my knees, my lips trembling as I tried to read the letter but my vision was soon blurred by tears. My hand flew to my mouth as I tried to stop the sobs from coming out but it was no use, I was already a crippled mess. He was alive, in a coma but alive.

I tried calming my uneven breath but I couldn't handle this information physically or mentally. I backed myself away so my back hit the wall, pulled my knees up to my face and held my body together as I cried over knowing my brother was still out there.

I feel betrayed. How could Nonna hide something like this from me? A rush of emotions crashed down on me and I found it hard to breathe. I spent a whole year and a half thinking my own brother was dead, only to find out he's still out there in world.

I'm livid, upset, torn and confused all in one. I feel like screaming but I remained silent, unable to do anything more than squeeze my eyes shut to keep the tears in.