➸ FORTY

fun fact: i never actually planned to continue writing this book when it was around like ten chapters but then i said fuck it and kept writing anyway AND HERE WE ARE AT 40 CHAPTERS

Vote - Comment - Share (If you wanna but I'd appreciate it if you did. But you don't have to. But please do.)

—————

Thalia Lively

The car came to a smooth stop as Nathan pulled up to the side of the road and exited the car without saying a word. I followed his actions and looked around me, being in complete awe of the nature around me. The road was in between a forest-like setting, trees outlined the whole road so perfectly. The trees were mixtures of greens, some of them resembling Nathan's eyes.

I looked ahead of me and saw a sign that gave me chills. Mills Road.

"Was this where it happened? Where's the gas station?" I asked Nathan, breaking the unwanted silence that settled between us as we drove here.

He looked down the road with an unknown emotion looming around his eyes. "No, the crash happened further down." He answered and I was confused at why we stopped here but I didn't have to ask since he continued. He looked down at the spot he was standing in, being in the middle of the road. "This is where the driver lost control of the car, the driver that crashed into—" he stopped himself, like he was uncomfortable saying the words.

"You were there?" I asked him, not understanding how he would know that. He didn't answer but he looked like he was recalling the exact scene as his eyes traced the side of the road that we came from, to the end of the road where the crash must've happened.

"Come," He said disregarding my question as he started walking further down the road and I followed absentmindedly. My eyes were glued to the scenery around me, my breath being taken away at the stunning effect nature held. Wind blew softly around us, not a harsh cold wind but a gentle one that seemed to just be passing through. We walked until a gas station entered my view and I didn't take my eyes off of it as I tried to regain any recollection of it.

The gas station was empty at the moment, as I assumed it would be since Nonna said barely anyone goes through here.

"Close your eyes." He demanded suddenly and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Why?" I asked obliviously, not knowing where he was going with this.

"Just do it, you want to remember don't you?" He said to me softly and I sighed, closing my eyes slowly.

I heard him take a deep breath before he spoke. "Try to picture everything I'm going to describe to you okay?" He started off by saying and I nodded hesitantly. "It was dark that night, the road was completely silent and empty." It wasn't hard to picture that scene since that's what it was like now just it wasn't dark yet, but if we stayed here for a little longer the darkness would eventually show up. "Imagine hearing cars roaring in the background, first they're distant but then you hear them as they came closer." He continued and my mind did exactly what he told me to and the zooming car sound echoed in my head.

My eyes flickered open on their own and I walked to the middle of the road, staring at the road ahead of me. The car sounds still played in the background of my head, and just like Nathan described, they got louder as the cars got closer. I turned around to look at the gas station and I pictured my family car in the gas station lot.

The cars were getting louder.

My breath got stuck in my throat as I remembered sitting in the back seat with Aidan right next to me. We were laughing and playing loud music as our parents went to go pay for the gas and grab some snacks.