t w e n t y f o u r | t a m p o

«not edited»

tampo (n) the state of not being angry with someone but not being affectionate either
[origin : philippines]

j a n u a r y f i f t h
a f t e r s c h o o l

Pyper and Talon were nowhere to be found, they were missing, all day. Because that's not suspicious at all. I was left with Phoenix, Blake, Marl, and Judah. But today, they were cold, closed off, and it was almost as if they were protecting me from something - or someone. From what? I don't know. From who? Like hell if I know. Everywhere we walked today, they walked, guarding me and keeping me in the middle of them. And I knew, I knew for a fact, that at all times today, at least one of them had their eyes on me. It was nerve wracking to say the least, but I didn't ask what the hell was going on. Phoenix was brooding as ever and didn't talk to me, it was like he couldn't mutter a single word to me, like he was avoiding me.

"Adrianna, you're riding with me, let's go," Phoenix said rudely as we walked out of the school building and he took my hand in his, pulling us away from the guys towards his car. Well it's damn nice to talk to you too.

"Wh-where are we going," I ask nervously, getting into his car.

"South Beach," he answered simply, "You and I are going to Artisan Brewery first and then we're meeting the guys at the Starlite Hotel."

"Okay," I whisper. I look out the window as we drive, Phoenix making it exceedingly clear that he didn't want to talk to me. The ride was silent and suffering.

§ 

We had all been wondering along the South Beach strip aimlessly. For three hours. Phoenix and I walked side by side and the guys walked a little bit ahead of us, all seeming in their own worlds. I wasn't sure if Phoenix would bitch about if I left his side, so I did. I jogged up to Marl and he immediately greeted me with a smile. He wrapped an arm around my waist and snatched my Starbucks out of my hand, sipping the iced tea infusion. I pouted and he only laughed, pulling me close into his embrace. That was just the thing I loved about Marl, - and Blake - the love between us was purely platonic and brother-sister like. I appreciated it more than anything in the world.

"Adri, hey."

"Marl, hi."

"Just wondering, what the hell is up with Phoenix's ass?"

He didn't look taken aback in the slightest and only chucked wholeheartedly, throwing his head back, "He's having bitch fits with you too?"

"Bitch fits?" I scoffed, "Try completely bitching out and being a brooding bastard to the fullest extent of the phrase."

Marl shook his head, chuckling softly, "He's just on edge after last night. This rival gang called him, wanting something, requesting to have it in their hands by sunset tonight. And they gave him an ultimatum to which he completely said 'fuck it' to."

"What does the rival gang want?" Curiosity was spiking my interest and it was not good.

He took sipped my tea once again before handing my drink back, "Hell if I know."

Just as I was about to make another remark, a rough hand gripped my shoulder, halting my movements. Marl stopped along with me and we turned around at the same time to find Phoenix with Blake and Judah standing alongside him.

"We need to go. Now," he said through gritted teeth, his face hard and his eyes desolate. And honestly speaking, he looked as if he was going to kill someone. His hand dropped from my shoulder and he took my hand in his, pulling me away from Marlowe. And now we were walking in the direction we came from, the guys trailing behind us, only seconds later, we were breaking out in a full sprint.