f o r t y t h r e e » z i n d a b a d

not edited

— zindabad —
(interjection, imperative) a cheer often used after a name to wish someone health and long life
origin ; urdu

"P-Phoenix talks about me with you?" My jaw dropped and my eyes widened at Phoenix's mother sitting across from me.

She laughed melodiously, "Phoenix tells me everything, sweetheart, no matter the time of day," she grinned.

"Aww," I looked over at Phoenix who hung his head, desperately trying to hide his pink tinted cheeks.

Dinner with Phoenix's parents had to be the highlight of my entire week. Not only had they invited us for dinner tonight, they dwelt upon us staying a night or two over and of course, we couldn't say no. Phoenix worshipped his parents and talking to his mother on the phone, she was too sweet for me to refuse. And that's how we found ourselves sitting over butternut squash and caramelised onion galette and eggs in cocotte with spinach purée.

If I thought Phoenix along with his brother and sister were carved themselves by the hands of God, I clearly didn't think it through what his parents looked like. His mother was elegant, she brought another meaning to the word ethereal. She held this certain love and warmth in her aura and she presented herself with grace. Everything about her screamed simplistic and minimalistic. She liked to chastise Phoenix for little things, laughing lightly when he'd mutter mama, please stop and cover his face with his hands. And tonight, her outfit was to die for - simple white satin maxi dress, topped off with diamond encrusted teardrop earrings.

"He was always such a mama's boy," his father grumbled under his breath, shooting Phoenix a pointed look. Phoenix stared back at his father wordlessly, wide eyed filled with wonder. Fucking adorable.

Phoenix's father was clearly where Phoenix and Blake got their looks from. They were nothing more than a spitting image of their father, it was unreal. Though he was just an aged version of Phoenix, he still had it all, with a chiselled jawbone, fit body, and lusciously chocolate brown hair. He might've looked only a bit older than his twenty one year old son if it weren't for the worry lines, tired eyes, angst ridden features on his face.

"Oh, don't be jealous, Cartier," his mother snickered.

His father scoffed, "I'm not jealous, poupée."

"The frown on your face begs to differ, mon amour," she gave him an all too knowing smile.

"Phoenix, can you tell your mother how I'm the better parent," Cartier looked at Phoenix with pleading eyes. Phoenix, however, stayed silent and his eyes flicked down to his empty plate.

"Oh my god," I murmured, covering my mouth as I stifled my laughs. His mother's eyes flickered over to mine, bright and wide as she had a beaming smile.

"See, even Adrianna likes me better!" She exclaimed, laughing wholeheartedly.

"Adrianna did, not, say that," he gasped dramatically.

"She didn't have to," his mother feigning pretentiousness, "I just know these things," she smirked.

"Woman, you are insatiable," he muttered, looking up at the ceiling whilst she giggled.

His parents continued fooling around, snickering at each other to the point where I was laughing so much I began tearing up. Hell, they had me wheezing in my seat as they relentlessly teased their son.

"I'm going to bring out dessert," Phoenix's mom chimed as she got up and started collecting all our plates.

"I apologise for Celeste, Adrianna, but-" Phoenix's father started with a grin.