s i x t y o n e » l ' e s p r i t d e l ' e s c a l i e r

not edited

l'esprit de l'escalier
(unknown) literally stairwell wit — a too-late retort thought of only after departure
origin ; french

"For bloody fucks sake," Phoenix said through gritted teeth, his eyes flickering all around the messy kitchen in search of the sweet and spicy chili sauce. Pyper and I stood, leaning against the cupboards stifling our laughs while the guys didn't even bother to hide theirs.

Blake took a swig out of his red solo cup, swirling the rum and coke in his mouth he so graciously asked me to mix for him at 12 pm, - fifteen minutes ago - claiming that "it is five o' clock somewhere darlin'," before walking up to his brother and pointing at the glass bottle sitting against the teal and grey marble backsplash of the counter containing the sauce. Phoenix grumbled something incoherent under his breath and I burst into a fit of laughter, face palming and shaking my head.

"Adrianna," he whined and I looked up to see him already looking at me, pouting.

"I'm sorry babe," I smiled sheepishly and sounded entirely unapologetic while the gang just laughed at him. He frowned, jutting his bottom lip out before turning back to face the chicken he was currently marinating.

"Adri, you're taking care of the arroz con habichuelas, sí?" Marlowe questioned and I nodded, moving around the kitchen to grab a pan. Putting it on the stovetop, I poured some olive oil and turned the cooktop on to heat it up as I turned around and grabbed a cutting board, dicing up some vegetables and seasoning to fry for the beans and rice.

Everyone of us was doing our own thing, prepping our own dishes for tonight. It was the Fourth of July and we decided to have a small bonfire and pool party - just the gang, Hunter, Elieze, Viridian, and Jaxon. The latter four were coming later and right now, the seven of us were focused on cooking as much as we possibly could and fooling around to mess each other up it seemed.

The guys had already set up the backyard with the table and chairs and minuscule decoration along with their bar of God knows only the most unholiest of liqueur.

Next to me, Pyper pulled out the tray of breaded and seasoned shrimp from the fridge she'd marinated since last night and put on a pan of oil on the cooktop to heat up so she could start frying the delicious appetiser.

The atmosphere was quiet, except for the soft hum of the alternative playlist Judah had playing softly through his Ultimate Ears portable speaker as everyone was fixated in their own worlds. Until the tranquillity was broken by a shrill shriek beside me. With wide eyes, my head whipped to my side to see Pyper standing frozen as ever, looking terribly horrified.

Phoenix's deep, throaty laugh was the first to break the silence once he took in the sight of his sister.

"Talon, I knew I kept you around for a reason," the brute smirked, taking Talon's hand and pulling him in for a 'bro-hug' as Talon smirked too. I watched, mortified, as an olive oil covered Pyper picked up a bag of flour and threw nearly half the bag over the two guy's head. Oh Jesus Christ.

"Pyper, you absolutely did not just-" Phoenix was cut short as a girlish shriek of his own escaped his lips when Blake poured something over his head along with Talon's. I fell into obnoxious laughter at his utterly feminist sound.

"Seems like karma is a dirty bitch," Pyper smirked when a smirking Blake held up what he just poured on Phoenix and Talon - a bloody bottle of soy sauce.